Replace boots with spark plugs?

I was buying spark plugs for my 2014 Town and Country minivan on RockAuto and they said "it's recommended to change the boots when you change the spark plugs". A new set of boots is about $25. Should I do it, or if it's don't broke don't fix it?

The van has 105k miles and it's a 2014. It doesn't have any ignition problem, I'm just going to change the plugs when I'm doing other work.

I've always just gone ahead and replaced the wires at the same time. The cost is nominal and you're basically already doing the work of removal anyway. I'd treat the boots the same way in this scenario especially given all the work to get to the plugs in that engine.

Start at 22:00 here if you don't want to watch the whole thing

23:06 shows it exactly if super impatient

Do I need any dielectric grease or anything if I replace the boots?
I always do just 'cause that's typically regarded as SOP. I'm not SMRT enuf to tell you why it's a good or bad idea.

If your FLAPS sells a kit I'd imagine there's a tiny thing of dielectric in the box. If not, it's up to you

Yes, use dialectic grease.

As for replacing boots, I do not nor do I think it's necessary unless there's obvious damage, cracking, separation, etc. I did many plug changes and just put the boots back on, except to replace any that are in fact damaged.

Boots are not cheap, mine were around $40 each. That's hundreds of dollars for the entire 8 cylinder engine!

I did it when I did the plugs on my MKZ a few months ago, but the boots were also something like $3 each for Motorcraft branded ones at Rockauto.

BTW, I put a dab of dielectric where the boot went onto the coil and then another dab on the spark plug end. I kind of thought they might come pre-greased but I didn't see any evidence of it.

Yes, use dialectic grease.

As for replacing boots, I do not nor do I think it's necessary unless there's obvious damage, cracking, separation, etc. I did many plug changes and just put the boots back on, except to replace any that are in fact damaged.

Boots are not cheap, mine were around $40 each. That's hundreds of dollars for the entire 8 cylinder engine!
In Post #1 OP stated $25 for a set. Now, I have no idea of quality but if they're decent it's cheap insurance.

On Ford Tritons where misfires are rampant it's advised to ALWAYS replace boots just to eliminate variables. I agree but doesn't mean I'm right

I was buying spark plugs for my 2014 Town and Country minivan on RockAuto and they said "it's recommended to change the boots when you change the spark plugs". A new set of boots is about $25. Should I do it, or if it's don't broke don't fix it?

The van has 105k miles and it's a 2014. It doesn't have any ignition problem, I'm just going to change the plugs when I'm doing other work.
When you replace the boots be careful taking them off, IIRC from another poster that did this there may be a resistor in there that will fall out and must go back in.

We have a tech that always quotes them on higher mileage vehicles when quoting spark plugs.
I quote them on all. I’ve had too many I had to fish out in pieces with needlenose pliers. Some designs are more likely to do it than others(I’m looking at you Gen 1 3.5 ecoboost).

Yes, replace the boots for sure. The originals may not make it the next 100k..

Ive seen too many loose fitting or contaminated boots cause problems to not replace them

I seldom replace anything unless it really needs replacing. I remember once I had a Toyota Celica and had a thought I should do the radiator hoses at year 10. I drain the radiator and remove the upper hose. I compared the original to the new replacement and came to the conclusion the original, at year 10 was better than the new over non-OEM replacement. I re-assembled and never did have to change that hose. Spark plug boots on a 2014, IMO are not ready to be replaced. If they are, that's not a car I would own.

I replaced them with Denso. I'm firmly convinced I wasted my money because the old ones could barely be told apart from the new ones. Oh well.

Back