Repaint older tractor

I picked up a '90 318 John Deere a couple of weeks ago that I am going through. Overall, it is in pretty nice shape. The original Onan P218 is blown up (guy's son-in-law didn't know it was low on oil). My intention is to swap my Vanguard into this 318 once everything else is done.

So I want to repaint the pedestal, the engine side covers, fender deck, hood, and parts of the frame.

I am looking for recommendations on what steps to take. Of course, any rust of high spots I'll sand heavier then finer and prep the surface with mineral spirits or something of that sort; but can anyone give any suggestions on paints and or coats of paint?

I am thinking for the frame areas, prep the surface, then rattle can primer and then satin black? Would there be any better black paint or coating for a frame that would adhere and hold up tougher?

For the JD Green panels, I am thinking a light colored primer, then a few coats of John Deere green. I am considering on getting a cheaper paint sprayer from Harbor Freight and have seen to mix the JD Green paint from the dealer with mineral spirits.

I guess my question is, is there a better process than this? Or a better 'coating'?

Thanks.

I like the Rust-Oleum bbq black for the frame. I have a 330 and that black holds up great.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
POR-15 paint...

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Coating

I agree. If you don't want the rust to come back, use the POR-15 system.

Been there, done that. If you just sand really well and repaint, the rust will be back shortly. If you use the POR-15 system, you'll be good to go.

I sand off all the rust as you suggested and then really focus on the "eating out the rust pits" part. You're actually converting the rust into iron phosphate which is stable.

I'm a fan of epoxy paint. It Can be found in the rattle can area at AZ. surface prep is #1 important. If you have a compressor a cheap small sprayer from HF give you a lot of options for good epoxy paint with color option.

Last edited:
Back