Rented a Chevy 1500, Really Impressed with Towing!

Crtic-
I am very sure. With a properly adjusted WD hitch-the front of the vehicle should be no more than 1 to 1 1/2 hitches higher than normal. A PROPERLY ADJUSTED WD HITCH distributes weight among the axles of the trailer-and the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle. If you have seen Trucks FRONT UP with a WD hitch-those hitches are not adjusted properly.

AS I have mentioned previously-I have towed from the Utah to the East Coast - and all over the Rocky Mountain West. Most recently-two back to back 1,700 mile trips in late September and early October.

I have logged over 20,000 miles towing my trailer.
toronado-distributing.jpg

A bigger motor/truck can be better. However-if you are towing no more than 5,000ish pounds the 5.3 is fine. Im in the Rocky Mountain West. The mountain passes don't get much higher.....elsewhere. Some of use don't want the ride of heavier truck when not towing. And yes they ride like garbage when empty. Sorry!
I don't know where I said to get a bigger truck. I was comparing a 6.0 4 speed to a 6.0 6 speed so he could see the difference. Please tell me where I said go out and buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. It was merely a 4 speed vs 6 speed comparison. His experience is most likely related to having some extra gearing, just like mine.

Here we go- non truck owners polluting another towing thread which they know little about. .

If my truck had the 4r110 or 5r140 it would certainly help. A torque converter on its own does a ton of work, as does more gears!

I don't think this truck really needs airbags. I'm willing to bet I was way over on the tongue weight. I had the Jeep all the way forward for a few different reasons. I can get into those if anyone really wants to know. I did one stretch (from the park to lodging and back ) with the Jeep back 6 inches and the truck sat a bit more level and handled the same.

WDHs are nice when you have a load that is affected by wind or awkward. A jeep on a trailer that's easily moved around for tongue weight isn't a case where you need one, IMO.

If my truck had the 4r110 or 5r140 it would certainly help. A torque converter on its own does a ton of work, as does more gears!

I don't think this truck really needs airbags. I'm willing to bet I was way over on the tongue weight. I had the Jeep all the way forward for a few different reasons. I can get into those if anyone really wants to know. I did one stretch (from the park to lodging and back ) with the Jeep back 6 inches and the truck sat a bit more level and handled the same.

WDHs are nice when you have a load that is affected by wind or awkward. A jeep on a trailer that's easily moved around for tongue weight isn't a case where you need one, IMO.
What gears are in your Ford? Everything I have towed with has had 4.10s. I remember my old 89 GMC 1 ton. 454/3 speed/4.10s and non lock up converter. That thing was screaming..... EVERYWHERE. 60 mph was 3000 RPM. Every half ton made in the last 20 year would tow circles around that thing. Guy I bought it from towed a 30 foot 8700 lbs 5th wheel. He must have been one patient dude. I towed a 5000lbs 5th wheel with it. I remember going over the Continental divide in Montana. I was down to 38mph at 4200 RPM. That is all the old 454 could do. Ah good times.

What gears are in your Ford? Everything I have towed with has had 4.10s. I remember my old 89 GMC 1 ton. 454/3 speed/4.10s and non lock up converter. That thing was screaming..... EVERYWHERE. 60 mph was 3000 RPM. Every half ton made in the last 20 year would tow circles around that thing. Guy I bought it from towed a 30 foot 8700 lbs 5th wheel. He must have been one patient dude. I towed a 5000lbs 5th wheel with it. I remember going over the Continental divide in Montana. I was down to 38mph at 4200 RPM. That is all the old 454 could do. Ah good times.

4.10. It either needs more gear or less gear. More gear so I can shift up to the next gear on the hills, or less so I can get more speed out of each gear and not have to shift.

Half ton pickups of today are no comparison for the half ton (and some 3/4 tons) of just a decade ago. Much better vehicles.

Reactions: CKN

There is a bit of a handling benefit to having the right amount of tongue weight/rear axle load, and I guess a weight distribution hitch helps when you can't move your load back.
I think you right about having the automatic transmission helping, my Dad's 03 F150 had the 2v 5.4 and the 4r110 with long geared diffs and they towed their ~5000lb camper all over without too much drama. I think it would still do 55mph up most interstate hills in the east in 2nd with the revs up there a bit. His hearing isn't the greatest anyways so it made no difference to him. He now has a 2018 6spd hemi half ton Ram now which tows a bit easier but its not life changing on the roads they go on atleast. The main difference he noticed was the lower profile tires on the Ram helping reduce trailer sway. I think his Ford had 15 or 16" rims and the Ram has 18" and a bit wider tires.

Back