Rental Review - 2017 Mercedes C300

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This is the "other" rental that we had in conjunction with the Tahoe. Let me preface this with the fact that I know this isn't an E, and my expectations are thus in-line with that.

This car was literally brand-new when we picked it up, had 0 miles on it. I spent far more time in the Tahoe than the Mercedes, but enjoyed driving the little MB immensely more.

Pro's:
- Fit and finish were, for the most part, quite good. Door had soft touch on ALL of the surfaces that you might touch, right down to the floor. This may seem insignificant having it below the arm line, but it means that no matter where you touch it feels higher "quality". The inside of the lower storage basin in the door was of course harder plastic, coming up the back side, but then rejoined into the soft touch.
- Lock/window location controls were very good and all close to each other.
- Seats were comfortable, though far from heavily bolstered.
- Wheel was comfortable, though felt a bit "thin" in my hands. Controls for the cluster and stereo were properly sized an intuitive. I did not at any time feel inclined to use the paddle shifters, though they looked very good.
- Digital display in the cluster was clear with no clutter.
- Sound system was quite good. AVIS did not add the navigation option, so no chance to try that out.
- Automatic HVAC worked extremely well and was quiet/unobtrusive.
- Ride struck a good balance between compliant and firm. Handling was quite nimble and steering feel was fantastic with great on-centre.
- Rain sensing wipers worked extremely well, I never had to touch them once set.
- Brakes were perfect. Grab was immediate, easily modulated and inspired confidence. Best rental brakes I've had and compared to my Brembo's an easy 2nd.
- Traction control was good, if this were a performance-oriented car I would call it intrusive, but it isn't and for the segment, I think it works well.
- Mirrors were excellent all around
- The greenhouse felt very open, making the car feel smaller than it was. Reminds me of my M5 in this.
- The centre console "split" open is novel and functionally quite excellent.
- Pedal layout and feel were also extremely good, with a proper dead pedal.
- Acceleration was brisk and transmission feel was unremarkable. It did its job but didn't feel overly sporty or overly cushy. What I would expect for a car in this segment.
- I initially thought the shifter was going to end up being in the cons section, given its strange stock placement, but you actually get used to it VERY quickly and it is very intuitive.

Cons:
- Quality feel of seat material wasn't the best. I believe this was MB Tex, which I know is quite durable but doesn't give me the same feel as real leather does. I would have appreciated more bolstering as well.
- The gauge cluster was quite "deep" making the gauges somewhat difficult to read at a glance. I think this is due to the increased reliable on the digital speedometer.
- The cupholder/storage area was far too busy and condensed and subsequently awkward.
- The door locks look like they were an afterthought. See pics. This is disappointing, because they are very visible.
- The auto stop/start feature is maddening. Luckily it is easily disabled with a button push. There is a noticeable delay to refire the engine at an intersection. I am not a fan and always chose to disable.
- The power seat controls on the doors, rather than the side of the seat, it seems strange and takes up space on the door. I think I'm more put off by the aesthetics than the functionality.

Overall, I really liked driving this car and assuming long-term reliability was decent, I would recommend it for people shopping in its price range.

Now the pics (don't mind the mess, didn't have a chance to clean it as I was in a hurry):

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

- The auto stop/start feature is maddening. Luckily it is easily disabled with a button push. There is a noticeable delay to refire the engine at an intersection. I am not a fan and always chose to disable.

Yes, it appears the Germans have not figured out how to implement the auto stop/start feature in a non-intrusive way, IMO. I've tested newer BMWs with this feature, and wife's Q5 has it, too. I just can't get used to it. We have it permanently disabled.

Sharp car for sure. I really like the looks of them. My dad had a 2009 GL450 SUV for about 4 years and 90k miles. We drove it back and forth to Florida a few times, I spent more than a few hours behind the wheel of that car. The car was obviously put together very well, and rode like a dream. The one thing that really bugged me considering how expensive the car was new, were the SEATS! After about an hour of driving they felt like a park bench. I've sat in some newer models and they were much improved, but that was always something that was surprising to me.

Love the new Mercedes'

But I can't explain their door locks... My mom's '08 was the same way. They could have at least been aluminum.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yes, it appears the Germans have not figured out how to implement the auto stop/start feature in a non-intrusive way, IMO. I've tested newer BMWs with this feature, and wife's Q5 has it, too. I just can't get used to it. We have it permanently disabled.

It's the same jarring B.S. in everhthing, regardless of where the car is designed or made. It's maddening in my Volvo as well, and in everything else I've ever driven.

Oddly enough, it's least offensive to me in BMWs, but it's still a hateful technology.

Very sharp car. Pretty interior.

My Cherokee has the stop/start thing and I turn it off every time I drive, I hate it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
How funny you hid the plate of a rental car.....why ?

In case the rental company trolls message boards.

I'm surprised you didn't like the crazy display screen on the dash! Not!

That is so goofy looking, like you bought it and stuck it there with tape or something.

Betcha would've liked a C63 better...

I think the same thing about that display- looks aftermarket! But it looks like BMW and Audi have started it too.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I think the same thing about that display- looks aftermarket! But it looks like BMW and Audi have started it too.

I find those displays in BMWs to be annoying and distracting. A proper BMW should be like my friend's 2005 E46 330i ZHP. It has a decent sound system, but has a I6 engine, manual transmission, and comfortable interior. Not really anything else needed when going through twisty roads.
smile.gif

I like the tablet-style screens... Way better than having a huge hulking dashboard made to house a (usually smaller) screen.

I think it allows for a more fluid interior design... The "tablet" display is something we've become accustomed to in our lives, and the automakers are taking advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back