Removing water spots from exterior glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I have recieved many helpful tips here at BITOG. I'd like to give back by sharing something I just learned by experimenting with different household cleaners while trying to remove hard water spots from my car's windows. I tried the usual 50/50 vinegar water mixture and many other chemicals. While looking under the sink I saw a bottle of Fast Orange hand cleaner. I thought to myself, "hey this is acidic and abrasive". Well, I tried a little by buffing it on the glass surface by hand and then wiping clean. After wiping the glass clean I was pleased to see that the water spots were gone! Most people here would have this stuff at home, so there is no reason to buy an expensive product to do this job. Of course you'll what to keep it off the paint and trim and wash the car when you're done. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: EricF

what works best for getting hard water spots off of the paint?

A claybar works pretty good.

ive read that #000 steel wool works too but ive been a wuss to try it. I'd save the claybar for paint, because after the glass is done id be reluctant to reuse on ym finish, no matter how clean i thought i got the glass. Great find on the hand cleaner, you can get big tubs at the local 99 cent store these days of off brand...the cleaner may not be as good but the grit is probably the same.

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
Originally Posted By: EricF

what works best for getting hard water spots off of the paint?

A claybar works pretty good.

Agreed......Why not just use the clay on the windows as well? Avoiding the chance of getting an acid on your paint.

Be careful with that Fast Orange. You already know that it's abrasive.

I use a cleaner wax that is clear coat safe. That cheap turtle wax does a good job.

If you want an abrasive cleaner but not as much as Fast Orange - try Soft Scrub.

Full strength white vinegar works for the light spots. Ammonia and water works for heavier spots.

Lime-Away doesn't work.

0000 steel wool and rubbing alcohol works. Be careful of the trim.

Or - like a couple others have said - a clay bar works just fine.

Yeah, just keep in mind that Fast Orange is very abrasive. Don't buff with much pressure. Let the Fast Orange do the work. It IS possible to scratch the glass if you buff to hard.

Yeah know Gilitar, that a great idea
wink.gif
I'll even bet that my wife has some Soft Scrub with the other cleaning products. Gotta work the same way! I know others who have used Baking Soda/water.
Originally Posted By: kustomizingkid
I like my Chemical Guy's water spot remover...

What is this product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back