Removing Skunk from under the shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Leave shed and skunk alone, enjoy their presence...

You obviously have little to no experience with skunks. Skunks are BAD to have around a residence. Very bad. Especially if you have a dog. Ever smelled a freshly-sprayed dog?

And those "humane" services that trap undesirable critters and release them in the "wild"? They're just great. For you, the urbanite, and nobody else. The problem is that these "humane" services drive out just far enough to get out of the urban area and no further (that would cost time and money) before releasing the critters, meaning the non-urban folks who live where the critters get released end up with a TRIPLE-DOSE of critters! Not fun at all.

Lowes used to sell a product called "critter rid." It was a mixture of garlic, pepper and other foul smelling ingredients all of which were totally organic. It came in a plastic jug and you simply opened the lid and sprinkled it around whatever area you wanted to rid critters of. I used it to get rid of some feral cats that had set up house keeping under my tool shed - worked great. The smell lasted for about a week. Perhaps they still sell this product.

A small live trap should work baited with some pet food. I read somewhere they need to be able to stand up to spray.. depending on how big the skunk is (or how small the trap is) you should be fine. They do have a 15' kill radius so be prepared to run.. fast.

OR.. Find the den and drive him out with quite a few stink bombs. Keep a safe distance and make sure he left the den. Once he his gone, cover up the hole with rocks, wire mesh etc. Make sure all the pets and kids are locked up and out of spray range. Lol.

+1 to you for not wanting it to be killed.

Skunks are nocturnal and don't like light. If you can, find a way to get sunlight into his den during the day. He will leave on his own.

Don't underestimate the ammo the skunk is packing.

I would choose a tactic that never requires you to be within 10 feet of it. Preferable one where he decides to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I agree... you need to shoot and kill this pest.

Mainly because it is potentially DEADLY due to possible rabies infection and also because their bite can be equally serious causing serious infection and complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back