Removing Lower Control Arm 2012 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my driver side lower ball joint. I don't want to remove the knuckle from the strut because I have a camber bolt installed and the alignment seems to be set up well so I want to remove the control arm. Looks like it's the ball joint nut and 2 others at the rear end of the arm. I just looked and I can't see if the first bolt, the horizontal one, has a nut which is easily accessed, couldn't get my head under there right now to see it. Does that sound right, just 3 nuts and you can pull it out? It looks plausible. Anyone know for sure?

So I was just underneath the car and the front bolt of the arm is either threaded into a fixed nut or if it is just a nut you must wrench I don't see how to access it. I don't want to start unless I know the nut is fixed. Does anyone know what I am asking here? It's the top horizontal bolt in the schematic. All I can see is the bushing it goes thru, the end is enclosed.
http://www.hemanual.org/replacement-1709.html

I would bet the nut on the other end is welded in place. Remember they have to throw these cars together in the factory; having a hidden nut up in a recess goes against that.

Also you can pull the strut with knuckle if you want to keep the two bolted together for alignment purposes, and if the top strut holes aren't slotted for alignment.

I can loosen and tighten the bolt so the nut is somehow fixed. I'm still hesitant to attempt this, I don't want to start something that may leave me stranded. I'm not certain I will be able to pull the arm out with the hub assembly in place. Will it be able to pivot down far enough for removal? And realignment of that bolt looks like a frustration I really don't need right now. Has anyone done this? Thanks

May not be the same but my 2008 Accent has the ball joint receiver bolted to the knuckle so taking the knuckle off was easy when I replaced the bearings. If the Elantra is the same you can remove the ball joint with the arm still attached.

This is for a +2006 Elantra.

KHMAPHD0650-51102.jpg

KHMAPHD0654-54501.jpg

So it was pretty cut and dry getting the control arm out once I remembered to suspend the whole front end so that there was no rack in the front suspension, tension on the struts. Pressed the old joint out with some frustration but it came out nice. I had a Mechovich (spelling) part for replacement from Rockauto. The knurled diameter was .025 undersize, it spun freely in the arm. I measured the part I removed and the new one. Since I ordered and received the "correct" part, I'm to pay half of the return shipping cost. I found a part at a local Autozone 9:30 Saturday night. Not the part I preferred but it fit, I took the arm with me to check. Otherwise it went well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back