Remove power steering reservoir on 3100 GM V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the head gaskets on my 1999 Buick Century. There's 2 bolts on the lower intake manifold but the power steering reservoir is in the way. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the reservoir? I posted pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Also, do you have any recommendations for cleaning out the sludge in the heads? There's also some varnish in the upper intake manifold. I got some of it out with some carburetor cleaner.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Top view

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lower intake manifold bolt in front of the power steering reservior

Other lower intake manifold bolt behind power steering reservior

Close up of power steering reservior

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Usually theres 3 or so bolts that hold the whole pump assembly onto the engine. Access is through the holes in the PS pully.

Yup. Looks like almost the exact same pump setup as on the cavalier. There should be 3 bolts that you get to through the holes in the pulley, and there may be one more behind it on a arm to the IM, but that was just on the cavalier so probably not here.

If you need to change out the head gaskets then you need to get the heads checked. While that is being done they can clean them as well. You have gone this far you may as well do it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back