Remote Transmission Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Does anyone run a remote filter on their tranny? I have seen kits that use a spin-on engine oil filter, and wonder if they do any good.
Maybe a well located filter could also act as a cooler....?

I think "Clutchless" runs the Magnafine filter. Are these better than a spin-on type?

Thanks for any opinions.
Don

I use a Magnefine filer on the output to the cooler on my 01 Ford truck. I just installed it about 4 weeks ago. My friend changed his on his truck with 30K and it had some soot/particles. Seems to do the job. One is required by Ford on my truck if the trans has to be replaced. Not my case, I just wanted the protection.

On my 95 Ford truck, I mounted a FF filter on the outside pass. side rail. It is a kit I bought for the truck. I am using an Amsoil SDF-15 filter. I will be changing the fluid this month and will cut it open then. I put 6 oz. of Auto-Rx in the trans to clean it, so when I get the 500 miles I will change it. I do like the extra quart, plus the external cooler I added for more fluid capacity.

So to directly answer your question, I use both, but it is to early to give you positive/negative results. I flow tested both after installation, and no problems with either, both met Ford flow requirements.

Hey Vetteman ,
I too have a Ford truck , mine is a 2000 Ford E250 Ford Conversion Van with a 5.4 litre and the 4R70W transmission .. I only have 7000 mile on this vehicle and have been wanting to put a remote filter on , I guess Ford was mounting them on the return line to transmission after cooler to keep comtaminated metal filled fluid from coming back to transmission after they replaced warrantied transmissions ... I want to add this insurance and will put filter on right before it goes to radiator , and cooler .. I am wondering if this will adversely affect the transmission pump in any way pushing it thru that xtra filter , can you elaborate on the flow rate you were talking about , and what do you mean by flow rate , mine is still under warranty and i would hate to burn out the transmission pump ... also can you tell me how much that inline filter set up you have costs and how much are replacement filters , I know summit sells remote filter kits fo around $30 , and they say the filter is just a fram PH8A , which costs about 3 or 4 bucks .. any info or comments would be appreciated ... thanks , Larry
cool.gif

I bought the B&M kit from Summit. It says that the filter is equivalent to a Fram PH8A, which is a large filter with a 3/4-16 thread, 8 psid bypass, and used on lots of older Fords...easy to find. The kit came with a V-1 filter which is made by Purolator, but I don't know the quality. I use either an Amsoil SDF15 filter or the Mobil 1 filter that crosses with the PH8A. I want the best filtering possible.

Ken

Vetteman, I too am anxiously awaiting your results on the tranny filter. I was also curious about the extra strain (if any), that an external filter would put on the tranny pump. My thoughts are that the filter should be mounted as close to horizontal to the tranny pan as possible. This would keep the pump from having to work against gravity.

By the way, I used to own 2 59 Vettes myself. One was a factory 2-4v 283, with the 4-speed and hardtop. Man, I wish I still had that car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back