Remote Oil Filter on an GM 8.1L, Anyone done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crawled under the Silverado HD today to scope out the impending oil/filter change and cursed the GM engineers entire time I was under there.

Anyone installed a remote oil filter on their 8.1L? If so, what brand did you use, are your happy with it?, where'd you move the filter to?

Thanks, DEWFPO

Thanks for the link. Looks like they mounted the remotes horizontally on the inside of the frame rail alongside the trans. A good protected location but a mess to changeout.

Also looks like mounting those big filters horizonally would put a lot of strain on them.

I was considering mounting the unit vertically on the other(outside) of the frame rail but was concermed about rocks thrown from the tires hitting it and slush getting thrown up on it.

DEWFPO

Also looks like mounting those big filters horizonally would put a lot of strain on them.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I had a big BE110 on a standard PermaCool dual mount mounted horizontally and experienced no fatique in that cheap mount. If you want something more substantial, then something from Amsoil will be more to your liking. It carries a more substantial price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back