Remanufactured Alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
These remans are terrible. I look for OEM low mileage used. Many times the ones from a newer engine fit just fine.

A used alternator from the junkyard is sometime cheaper then than getting replacement parts for your existing original alternator. Having said that, I bought a used alternator from a part out locally for $10 that I am using on one of my cars right now. I took the original alternator and replaced the diode pack on it to keep as a spare.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I started looking at the Beck/Arnley. O'reilly Auto wants $288 for it, but Rock auto is only asking $153. I did not realize that the price difference could be so high.

Search for your part number on ebay and Amazon, too. Sometimes RA is cheapest on BA parts, sometimes not.

What a timely topic.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Magmaniac.com. Obtained an OEM "rebuilt" from them, it looks like "OEM" means an extra 20 amps or so. Credit for the core and retrun shipping box.

So their quality is good? Their pricing is really low. What's the catch?

With all this talk about cheap Asian parts, or labor, taking over, I wonder how it can be avoided, even if one was willing to pay for better quality parts. How can even a local rebuild shop avoid cheap parts if there aren't any alternatives available?

The core charge at Maniac is so low, it may even be worthwhile to keep the core around for some flexibility.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I can't recomend Napa's stuff. Nuthin but failure after failure from there's.

My Rayloc remanufactured alternator just went out after 11 years and 93,000 miles. Good by rebuilt alternator standards, but terrible by OE standards. I went to exchange it (I still had the receipt) and the one in the store made funny noises when I spun it. They are in the process of getting me another one. Supposedly they no longer remanufacture them in the US. It's now in Mexico.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Originally Posted by SubLGT

"Lifetime warranty" means you get to spend your lifetime replacing failed parts under warranty.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
thankyou2.gif

All the lifetime parts i've replaced have lasted years, bought rebuilt alternators and water pumps from Kragens, both lasted between 10/12 years, OReillys honored the lifetime warranties and gave me replacements which are still running great.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by nthach
I had an ACDelco reman that had a reused brush holder and rectifier along with a Chinese-made voltage regulator, resleeved slip rings and cheap bearings. I installed a Denso reman - which is rebuilt by Denso themselves. It was literally a new alternator with a used pulley.

who told you that lie? The Denso is only checked and a part replaced if its shot, they even use the old friggin bearings. Cleaned up with the commutator turned (1 min job with a workstation commutator small lathe) doesn't qualify as a reman or rebuild IMO. I had a small commutator lathe I picked up in the 80's, its not some elaborate tooling.

Originally Posted by Denso
Remanufacturing Process Includes:

Bearing - 100% tested to OEM specifications and repacked with premium OE-standard lubricant.
Stator - Insulation tested to 600 volts.
Rotor - Performance and insulation tested to 600 volts.
Housing - Re-tapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment.
Hardware - 100% stripped and replated.
Rectifier - Performance tested to 300 volts.
Voltage Regulator - 100% voltage tested to OEM specification.
Slip Ring - Re-machined to an average of 8 microns (20 micron run-out maximum), minimizing brush wear and abrasion.

This hardly looks like a new alternator with a used pulley.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2140780&cc=1502609&jsn=379

Old school commutator lathe for starters and alternators/generators, they still work as good today.

commutator lathe.jpg

I've had no issues at all with the 3 reman Alternators for various vehicles purchased from Advance Auto in the last 2-3 years. The labels say Remanufactured in Mexico.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by nthach
I had an ACDelco reman that had a reused brush holder and rectifier along with a Chinese-made voltage regulator, resleeved slip rings and cheap bearings. I installed a Denso reman - which is rebuilt by Denso themselves. It was literally a new alternator with a used pulley.

who told you that lie? The Denso is only checked and a part replaced if its shot, they even use the old friggin bearings. Cleaned up with the commutator turned (1 min job with a workstation commutator small lathe) doesn't qualify as a reman or rebuild IMO. I had a small commutator lathe I picked up in the 80's, its not some elaborate tooling.

Originally Posted by Denso
Remanufacturing Process Includes:

Bearing - 100% tested to OEM specifications and repacked with premium OE-standard lubricant.
Stator - Insulation tested to 600 volts.
Rotor - Performance and insulation tested to 600 volts.
Housing - Re-tapped to OEM specifications and damage-checked for heat warping, corrosion, or improper surface alignment.
Hardware - 100% stripped and replated.
Rectifier - Performance tested to 300 volts.
Voltage Regulator - 100% voltage tested to OEM specification.
Slip Ring - Re-machined to an average of 8 microns (20 micron run-out maximum), minimizing brush wear and abrasion.

This hardly looks like a new alternator with a used pulley.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2140780&cc=1502609&jsn=379

Old school commutator lathe for starters and alternators/generators, they still work as good today.

Trav-- I have to ask you.. What's your experience with Toyota's reman alternators? Originally denso made them, are those just a "check" and reboxed? Or does Toyota make them rebuild it with new? I know the reman Honda brand starters and steering racks that I've installed were definitely remanufactured. Let me know..

Originally Posted by Cujet
One success story I had: I purchased NEW Ford truck alternators on Ebay for cheap.

This is what I did for my Ranger, new OEM exact match for around $100.

NAPA honored their warranty, so I am using what I got there. Otherwise yes at around $145 shipped I'd get a new Motorcraft if I didn't feel like rebuilding it myself.

I put a Denso "reman" in my 02 Ranger when the OE suddenly failed at around 199K miles..I guess that's probably around two years ago, truck has 229K now. It works fine, but output has always been a little lower. The original would usually be around 13.7 volts average when warmed up, the current one is usually around 13.4 and has always been that way. The voltage regulator is an old Ford one, so Denso obviously didn't replace that. The rest of it looked spotless new though... they at least know how to clean them.

Got the NAPA Rayloc remanufactured alternator in the car now. Puts out good voltage it idle, and doesn't squeak even on rainy days. Has new bearings as per their website. Probably lucky that they actually warrantied it, since the warranty specifically excludes wear.

All the parts store stuff seems like it comes from Remy or BBB in Mexico. If it's new, China from TYC or some other firm. It's a roll of the dice with those. All of those use Chinese bearings and consumables.

Bosch and Denso have their own reman facilities or sell new on an exchange basis from my observations. However, Denso will only rebuilt their own stuff in-house. I've installed a Denso Chevy reman starter and it looks exactly the same as a Mexican parts store reman. My

I have had absolutely horrible luck with Napa remanufactured alts. I had to go through three in a Sunfire to get one that lasted longer than a month. That one made it a year... lol

TYC... it's not the bearings that crap the bed, it's the regulator, DOA, 6 months, 10 months, RockAuto refuses to give me warranty anymore... lol

Though that's in an RSX and those are notorious for killing alternators that aren't OEM. I added a ground strap to the rad support to the latest one, and it's hit 2 years.

I've still got and it's still working, a reman from Wilson in Winnipeg MB, it was rebuilt in 1997, when the car lived in MB and has moved to BC then to Sask and has put on 150,000km. It is a little beast, pumps out 80A stock rating was 55A. Got a CS130 that'll replace it eventually

If you have a local Alternator/Starter place that does remans/rebuilds, I'd suggest you check them out.

Oh and avoid 'Dixie' rebuilt alternators like the plague. I got burned by one, and the local shop that switched to them, had to switch back, after out of the 7 or 8 he got in, only 1 or 2 stayed away.

Dixie = bad
WAI Electronics = generally ok
WAI Bearings = cheap for a reason...
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back