Reman Cardone P/S Pump Follies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That BBB pump I got from O'Reilly auto parts lasted exactly 28 days. Took that one off, and went back to the store to do an exchange, and that pump was a Cardone with the 3F sticker on it. I was thinking dang not again. Installed the Cardone pump, and it is the quietest one yet. It's working great. That's the third Cardone pump I have installed, and I finally got a good one. The other two Cardone pumps were total junk right out of the box. That makes four pumps total I have installed three Cardone and one BBB.

One thing I did find out. The O'Reilly rental pulley remover and installer is named their store brand, but it's actually an OTC 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Service Set. This set is the best one I have ever used, and it made the pulley removal and installation super easy. PowerBilt(Advance Auto) and Harbor Freight pullers are junk compared to the OTC. O'Reilly only charges $35 for the tool rental. The one I rented was brand new, so I am going to keep it because a new OTC branded one will cost me about $45. It's mine after 48 hours because that's how long one has to take it back to the store to get their rental deposit back.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
That BBB pump I got from O'Reilly auto parts lasted exactly 28 days. Took that one off, and went back to the store to do an exchange, and that pump was a Cardone with the 3F sticker on it. I was thinking dang not again. Installed the Cardone pump, and it is the quietest one yet. It's working great. That's the third Cardone pump I have installed, and I finally got a good one. The other two Cardone pumps were total junk right out of the box. That makes four pumps total I have installed three Cardone and one BBB.

One thing I did find out. The O'Reilly rental pulley remover and installer is named their store brand, but it's actually an OTC 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Service Set. This set is the best one I have ever used, and it made the pulley removal and installation super easy. PowerBilt(Advance Auto) and Harbor Freight pullers are junk compared to the OTC. O'Reilly only charges $35 for the tool rental. The one I rented was brand new, so I am going to keep it because a new OTC branded one will cost me about $45. It's mine after 48 hours because that's how long one has to take it back to the store to get their rental deposit back.

What happened with the BBB pump? I would've rage quitted if the third reman kicked the bucket and would've bit hard onto a rag paying full price for a new OEM pump. Heh that was my case with my truck. 3 bad pumps and a failed rebuild just made me buy a new pump instead.

The O'R pulley tool is an awesome tool to have around the garage. I apparently got a brand new one too when I rented out the tool and kept it ever since. Interesting it's an OTC brand because they are expensive if you buy it vs renting it and keeping it forever.

Last edited:
When stopping to make left and right hand turns at low rpm, the BBB pump would would not assist until the rpm increased.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
When stopping to make left and right hand turns at low rpm, the BBB pump would would not assist until the rpm increased.

It would've been interesting to take that pump apart. One of the Cardone pumps I installed had the same issue. Tore it apart and found out the cam ring was extremely scored so it won't build pressure at low engine RPM's. That core was total rubbish and it shouldn't have passed through reman in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back