Rem 1100 Clean-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend asked if I could look at his 12 ga 1100; said it won't load from the magazine (he said you have to dump the shell into the chamber and then close the bolt) and most times won't eject......

Ya think? Everything had to be cleaned and thats exactly what I used....kero. I don't think he realizes that along with the gases to operate the shotgun that debris is also accumulating. When I used to shoot skeet, my 1100's were cleaned every 200 rounds (100 per day every Sat and Sun). My preference for auto shotguns though is my 11-48 and/or 11-87......a little more nudge but very clean inside.

This is his deer gun and has a Hastings Paradox barrel w/ cantilever and a Nikon Prostaff scope.

Last edited:
When my wife and I shot trap every weekend, I would wash out the trigger group through the ejection port with clean Kerosene after every trip. Then blow them dry with compressed air. We would usually shoot anywhere from 6 to 8 rounds, so that kept them clean.

You're a good friend to do that.I had to clean my neighbor's shotgun last year. looked just as gritty as your project. Took my a week of soaking and cleaning.

I ordered the white-line spacer on the butt stock since it fell apart when I removed the recoil pad. Part/shipping is $10 and he'll be good to go.

My pard and I shot 40 slugs and nary a glitch (yep, resorted to a sissy pad!).

@billt460......Our cleaning schedules are right on line with each other.

Last edited:
Remington 870, 1100, and 1187 trigger groups will run reliably with an unbelievable amount of gunk in them. I've seen them literally packed solid with unburned powder flakes, carbon, and crusty old lube. And still keep banging away. That said they are easy to keep clean. You don't need strong solvents. It's amazing what will wash out of them with Kerosene and a stiff bristled paint brush.

@AZjeff - he lives/hunts in Maryland.....Cicel County. We worked together at one time and I retired but my wife still works there thus the reason he asked if I still repaired firearms.

@billt460 - yes, very easy. I am very fond of all Remington long guns and I (we) have all gauges in 870's, 1100's, and just 12 in the 11-48/87. Rifle calibers are the usual; all long action 700's from .243 to .338. I have an R1 1911 but I've seen much better, much less for a Government model.

Last edited:
I used to hump around with an old Remington 1100 mangum model. Ran like a top, but when I got it there was varnish everywhere inside. The previous owner/s probably shot it full of wd40 or some other low grade oil that oxidized. I had to give the gas system some love as the o rings were worn out.

Such a good gun though, just a bit heavy. I traded it for a like new Franchi AL48 12 gauge.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Remington 870, 1100, and 1187 trigger groups will run reliably with an unbelievable amount of gunk in them. I've seen them literally packed solid with unburned powder flakes, carbon, and crusty old lube. And still keep banging away. That said they are easy to keep clean. You don't need strong solvents. It's amazing what will wash out of them with Kerosene and a stiff bristled paint brush.

People often ask me what the best way to clean deep nooks and crannies is. I tell them a paint brush with long, stiff bristles to reach way in and sweep out the crud. You can wrap the metal band of the paint brush in duct tape to avoid scratches.

If someone wants an aerosol solvent to blast off parts and make them totally dry, electrical contact cleaner works well and is much more gentle than non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner yet still much cheaper than something like powder blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back