Reliable Garage Door Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on a long lasting garage door opener. Old house had a Craftsman that was 15 years old and never gave me any trouble. I built a new house 4 years ago and the builder put in Overhead Door openers-3 of them. I have had the circuit boards fail 3 times already, not every opener though. I put a surge protector on all of them also. With this brand parts are not easily obtained without going to a dealer. Looking for one from HD or LW. The Genie's are the same company as the OH Door brand so I'm thinking I would have the same issues with those. Anyone have the Chamberlin opener? Thanks

Gave a friend of mine a cheap Chamberlin 5 years ago and still working. Was $80. I see them on sale now for around $90 with the single remote. My belt drive Craftsmen opener is over 10 years old but that company is getting stranger by the year.

Liftmaster. We have 3 on the attached garage and 2 on the big shop doors. Never a problem in 20 years.

Don't underestimate the part that garage door maintenance plays in opener longevity.

Chamberlain and Sears/Craftsman are the same opener - made by Duchesous (sp?). They are a decent opener with one weak spot: they use plastic worm and drive gears. I got about 13 years out of our opener before the gears self-destructed - although they are $20 and easy to replace. some friends have gotten 20 years out of their Craftsman. we use our door as a main entrance and it gets used alot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but after 10 years I would buy a set of gears and have them on hand.

Liftmaster, Chamberlain, and Craftsman are interchangeable (quite literally). They are one company owned by the Duchossois Group.

Sommer makes a really nice unit with a terrific warranty. They are spendy however and my $90 Craftsman won't die so I can buy one. In fact when it does go I'll prob just buy another inexpensive opener.

You'll find that door balance and maintenance is key. Check door balance and lube everything once a year. It only takes a few minutes.

I have 2 Genie units. One is a basic model, the other a deluxe model. Both have been rock solid for 15 years, with the exception of the traveler, which wears out at about the 10 year mark. Easy and cheap to fix that.

Our garage doors are quite heavy, as they are hurricane rated.

Motherboard on a genie unit died after 6 months. Still debating whether to repair or replace with a different brand.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Liftmaster. We have 3 on the attached garage and 2 on the big shop doors. Never a problem in 20 years.

Don't underestimate the part that garage door maintenance plays in opener longevity.

I have a Stanley opener. It came with the house. I don't have a manual for it. What maintenance is required ? Is the chain oiled or left dry ?
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I have a Stanley opener. It came with the house. I don't have a manual for it. What maintenance is required ? Is the chain oiled or left dry ?
Thanks.

Not maintenance of the opener, but the track and various hinges of the garage door. Make sure they are clean and lubricated.

I've had two Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/3 HP openers for 13 years with better than average results. I have more issues with my doors than with the openers. If the rollers or hinges get dirty or sticky, they require a clean and lube. I use a citrus based spray called Super Slick Stuff. Every year or three I may have to adjust the Up or Down force screws on one of the openers. That's EZ.

Another plus: the remotes are cheap to replace. $17 on eBay.

If you want your opener to last make sure the door is properly balanced and lubricated. Mines is a Lift Master, 16 years old now.

LiftMaster
Model 8500
Residential version of what's on Commercial (Warehouse) Doors

They mount on the Wall and rotate the Bar over the Door.

NO Chain
NO Cable
NO Worm Screw

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
but the track and various hinges of the garage door. Make sure they are clean and lubricated.

Don't lubricate the track.

I didn't realize the balance was off on our 16ft, 40+ year old wooden garage door. The torsion springs had gotten weak. This eventually chewed up the gears on our Sears opener. Soon after the opener gears failed and we were working the door manually, one of my torsion springs snapped. Had all the hardware professionally replaced and the door could be opened/closed with one finger.

Like suggested above, an important thing to do is pull the release cord and manually test the smoothness and force it takes to open and close the door. I'd do it a few times a year.

Last edited:
Those gears are nylon. They won't last long unless the balance is correct. I better get out and check mine again. Been a few years.

I have four Liftmasters. They are good openers, but always have a nylon worm gear set as a spare. They are 14.99 on Amazon, but if you have to buy them in an emergency at a local garage door shop, you'll spend $60.00. With a properly adjusted door spring, you should get years out of a gear set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back