Rehab a 2000 Buick Regal GS, 250,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, valid point. I'm doing a new radiator, just a flush and will only change out a cheap trans pan with a drain plug IF I need to do it and it may help what leak. And the car is worth at least a grand, it has leather seats! lol

I ended up down a rabbit hole on rock auto just looking at the price of parts, mostly cussing that I pay so much more fo ray imports and saw a supercharger. It's $800 bucks for a reconditioned one but it specifically states to use a 75W-90 oil in it. Now I don' know what the original oil is and if a remanufactured supercharger would use a totally different kind of oil than stock, but I'm seeing 75W-90, I'm seeing 5W-30 and the magical super charger oil that I don't know what it actually is. So, I guess I need to look around and see what is required by GM. I want to go as cost effective as possible but not use the wrong product.

The viscosity numbers for gear oil and engine oil don't correlate with each other. From just a resistance-to-flow standpoint, a 75w-90 gear oil flows about the same as a 5w-30 engine oil. Of course, there may be other additives in gear oil that make it the better spec for a supercharger application.

Whats frustrating is how difficult it is to find the actual oil spec'd for the car. I don' have the owners manual and a google search brings up all kinds of fluids and related capacities, but doesn't tell me that actual oil needed, or a part number for the 200 buck regal GS. What website(s) do you guys like to use thats REALLY specific for that kind of stuff?

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Whats frustrating is how difficult it is to find the actual oil spec'd for the car. I don' have the owners manual and a google search brings up all kinds of fluids and related capacities, but doesn't tell me that actual oil needed, or a part number for the 200 buck regal GS. What website(s) do you guys like to use thats REALLY specific for that kind of stuff?

Thank you

https://buickforums.com/forums/forums/buick-regal-forum.17/
cheers3.gif

https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmowner...egal_owners.pdf
http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/Buick-2000-Regal-Century-Factory-Service-Manual.html
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4041-S...263_bs_lp_img_1

Also, pay no attention to GM's year 2000 (obsolete) engine oil recommendations. Use a walmart (any) 0w40 engine oil with a half bottle of LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver (NAPA auto parts or amazon) for those old seals.

Nice, thank you. I shall join ANOTHER forum. lol I need one forum for everything. Bobistheoilguyandalltheotherthingsineed.com

I've read a few positive things on that molly oil saver but have never really dug into it or used it. I'll do that now. Thanks for the links.

no, never had a reason to take any since it's my folks second car. What would be the reason to post them?

Last edited:
The reason would be because people enjoy looking at pictures of older cars they don't see everyday. In this case an 18 year old car with 250k miles on it.

I've read a few positive things on that molly oil saver but have never really dug into it or used it. I'll do that now. Thanks for the links.
Yer welcome of course. The LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver product is primarily a seal conditioner, something easily added to the 0w40 I recommend.

That was a lot of work describing how to get the door panel off. All for nothing.

This Tlhfirelion dude is now black listed. No more help from me. I'm done.

Next time you got a question and I got the answer, crickets is what you'll get!

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
That was a lot of work describing how to get the door panel off. All for nothing.

Don't let the door hit your backside. I am sure others will have the answers, you're not the only fish in the pond.

Last edited:
Is that good? I've never owned a vehicle with a supercharger, only turbos so I'm not very knowledgeable on them. My folks bought the car new and it's been driven hard a few times but mostly just cruising the highway.

I’m always impressed when the power adder lasts as long as the engine. I’ve been hearing most turbos are very reliable but wasn’t so sure about superchargers.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko

Guess I missed something. How do you know he didn't use your advice?

I've got a near mint loaded 2000 Regal GS. Got it from a friend who's son overheated it so i just have to put motor in it. Got the car free and it has 109k miles and is in great condition. It's 2 tone gray and silver with gray leather. Used motors are only 600-900 average. I've had the car 3 years lol....i need to get it going and sell it or enjoy it. They are great cars.

Fuel filter

wash wax carpet dash and doors

Check air and cabin if no records

Buy manual and check it

PCV can be inspected and wiped off....just because a part is 'cheap' doesnt give you a good excuse to replace it.

Tire check and psi

Treat underbody rust and inspect steering and suspension

ACDelco supercharger oil

50/50 coolant? Check/replace

Original brake fluid?

Siphon refill psf with the regular stuff

Inspect belt and hoses

Test drive and let him continue with his oil change platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back