Reference points

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched over a dozen YouTube how to's on brake jobs.
I learned back in the day to use a tire crayon and mark the wheel, rotor, and hub to reinstall in the same wheel lug pattern. Avoids high and low spots, uneven ride, noise, etc.
Especially important when the rotors were turned.
Is this a dying procedure, or one that everybody does without need to mention?

Only time I ever did something like that was when servicing a driveshaft with multiple u-joints and slip joints. They are equipped with balance weights.
Not sure I ever heard of what you are asking.

I mark flywheels and pressure plates and torque converters and flexplates with their respective locations prior to disassembly.

If a wheel, rotor and/or hub proves that location-specific something is seriously amiss and likely destined for the recycle bin.

$.02

This procedure is pointless at best. All it could possibly do is sweep an issue under the rug.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
This procedure is pointless at best. All it could possibly do is sweep an issue under the rug.
+1

maybe for this instance, but I use reference marks whenever I take some thing apart for the first time. I also will put an engine at TDC on the timing marks before I change a timing belt.
grin2.gif

I understand the logic behind marking the rotor and hub - you're trying to minimize/eliminate rotor runout by re-indexing the rotor to the same position on the hub. I've used a dial indicator during brake jobs to index rotors onto hubs and I've found it can make a difference (recently I was able to reduce runout from 0.0035" down to 0.002" just by indexing).

I don't really understand the logic behind indexing the wheel/tire on the hub.

I do the reference mark thing, but I am weird like that. On the hubs one stud has a mark on it. I line the lugnut hole of the wheel that corresponds to the valve stem with the marked stud. I also put the locking lugnut on that stud. Just a weird thing I do.

Hondas don't really have a choice but to index the rotor with the hub, if you put back in that Phillips screw that apparently rusts like crazy in the NorthEast.

Volvo is the only car I've seen where the wheel can only go on in one position. If it was such a good idea everyone would do it.

Under the rug is a good place for an issue.

IIRC that's where the unintended Lexus accelerations went, and Toyota's still doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back