Redundant question about synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has probably been asked and answered many times here. I searched and found no info. So, would it be OK to begin using syn in an engine that is 8 years old and has 109,000 miles? I used conventional Valvoline 10W30 from 42,000 to 65,000 then switched to Maxlife 10W30 and used it until now.

I have heard horror stories about syn in older engines causing leaks, blown seals and other problems. But I have also heard good stories about syn improving power, HP and MPG. Napa has their syn on sale this month, $2.99/qt. If I can find out whether I can safely use it I may try it when I change my oil tomorrow. If it really will work OK in my truck I might just pick up a case. Or two or three.

I appreciate the help here, I know this has been asked before.

It'll be perfectly fine. 30-35 years ago there were issues, but not now. Your seals will be in very good shape, having been 'conditioned' by the Maxlife for 40k miles. At least that's my take on it.....

You should be fine!
grin2.gif

I bought a van with 170000 miles on it. Did not know what oil was used before. First tried Maxlife synthetic because I had some. No leaks. Then bought GC 0w30 on sale at Autozone. Still no leaks. Now have Red Line 5w30 from my local speed shop in it and no leaks. Hope you have similar results.

My '99 Z71 got a fresh fill of M1 when i brought it home for the first time and that had 220,000 miles,has had M1 every sense that day no leaks,it's a myth that needs to die.

my kids '00 sunfire has 183,xxx on the clock and yep in went M1 no leaks, run the oil and don't look back you'll be fine.

Thanks. I have never used any fully synthetic oil, but I know Maxlife is a syn blend. Is it really true you get more noise on a cold start with it? Are there any other downsides to synth? Has anyone had any real noticeable gain in power from using syn?

I ask because I am trying to improve both power and MPG in my Dakota. It's only a V6 and it runs great for its age, but I'd like to improve it if I can. It has never leaked any oil or any other fluids, and I have always kept the oil changed every 3000 miles. I may extend my OCI to 5000 miles and switch from ProSelect filters to Napa Gold, if syn really would be OK to use and provide noticeable benefits.

I really appreciate the help here.

Valvoline makes two versions of their Maxlife oils - a synthetic blend and a full snythetic. I used the full synthetic without any leaks or problems in my van with 170000 miles.

If it were mine I would just stay with the blend Maxlife. The syn part of Maxlife blend is likely PAO. It has served me well in several vehicles, and the stop leak claim is for real. Plus it has a better detergent than the regular synpower. I have yet to read a post of anyone disatisfied with Maxlife blend.

Napa synth is like Valvoline synth, which Ashland says is a mix of 3 4 and 5 base stock, if i remember well, just the additives are a bit cheaper. i just bought a venture with 85000 miles, 3.4l ohv v6 which was maintained with conventional 5w30. I just did the change to synthetic 10w30 SJ Safety Kleen house brand to prepare for a 6000 mile highway run. It just completed a 3000 mile run with zero oil consumption. My son tells me it ran like a dream.
In the future, for around town useage, it will be 3quarts 5w30 conventional to 2 quarts 10w30 synthetic.

Using synthetic improves the flow while the engine is cold, the same as running a thinner oil like the 5w30, which helps improve mileage while it's warming up.

Also, notice that I used up my SJ stash, which was almost 10 years old, which should answer people's questions about the shelf life of oil. I was stored outside, and went through 9 winters - WITHOUT turning to wax - LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back