Redline SI-1 as UCL & regular additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So over the last 6 tanks of fuel I have been using Redline SI-1 instead of my normal Lucas UCL with my Shell Top-Tier fuel (usually E-10) and I have noticed a much better response from my engine, a slight increase in average mileage (nothing to write home about).

I think I'm going to keep using it instead of Lucas UCL or anything else. I'm using 1/4 of the bottle for each tank of fuel (72L) and that seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I have used SI-1 in the past to clean up an engine but found Amsoil PI to be slightly better but in terms of a regular fuel add and UCL I really like the SI-1 and it's much cheaper than the Amsoil PI which isn't for regular additions to the fuel.

Your thoughts?

It has a UCL already in it, not as strong as a 4 ounce dose of MMO in 10 gallons of gas, or 2 ounces of TCW3 in 10 gallons but still a UCL. If you like to tinker you can use it with your favorite UCL, just cut back the UCL a little. JMO

The Red Line stuff is definitely top notch. Widely considered by many to be the best there is for what it does. I've used it with great results, too great actually, as when I added it to my wife's high mileage SUV, it crudded up all her plugs with the [censored] it cleaned out. Had to change all her plugs. But wow did it ever work!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It has a UCL already in it, not as strong as a 4 ounce dose of MMO in 10 gallons of gas, or 2 ounces of TCW3 in 10 gallons but still a UCL. If you like to tinker you can use it with your favorite UCL, just cut back the UCL a little. JMO
I'm going to try adding some LUCAS to it and see what I get in return. Maybe even with MMO. Too much fun in trying this stuff.
grin2.gif

My SI-1 should be here by Friday. I've been seriously debating whether to add a maintenance dose every fillup after this initial whole-bottle add. A quarter of a container sounds about right as a rough, conservative amount.

I use nothing but Shell and Mobil (Sunoco when I travel and can't find the aforementioned nearby), so it'll be interesting to see what, if any, effects the initial whole-bottle and subsequent maintenance dose adds will have. I'll have to log frequently to see if anything at all is evident there.

At a certain point you'll get diminishing returns. I would think after 2 or 3 consecutive tanks it would level out.

I dump in a bottle of SL-1 or Gumout Regane with every oil change (5k) and I'm satisfied.

Originally Posted By: dparm
At a certain point you'll get diminishing returns. I would think after 2 or 3 consecutive tanks it would level out.

I dump in a bottle of SL-1 or Gumout Regane with every oil change (5k) and I'm satisfied.
in the last tank before a change or after the change? Does it affect your oil any?

I notice when it's in the tank it makes my exhaust smell like new electronics that have been just taken out of the box, type of smell. (Best way I can describe it)

Only when the Cat's are cold though...

Last edited:
I know when I use Lucas in my fuel my Chrome ring wear metals drop to 0 on my UOA's from 2-3ppm so I think it is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I notice when it's in the tank it makes my exhaust smell like new electronics that have been just taken out of the box, type of smell. (Best way I can describe it)

Only when the Cat's are cold though...

I noticed a much different smell when I added to my snow blower this past winter, and my mower this spring. Something is going on when it is in the fuel that's for sure.

Well that would smell different IMO because you don't have a cat on either of those and also because they tend to run mowers/blowers a tad on the rich side versus vehicles.

You are definitely right that something is going on though. The exhaust smell changes and the response from the engine changes.

Even the fuel trim ratio changes...

I'm really curious what your cylinders and piston crown looks like with all this cleaning and upper cylinder lubricating going on inside your engine.

Well that would smell different IMO because you don't have a cat on either of those and also because they tend to run mowers/blowers a tad on the rich side versus vehicles.

You are definitely right that something is going on though. The exhaust smell changes and the response from the engine changes.

Even the fuel trim ratio changes...

This is what I'll be looking for most in my logs. I'm not expecting much, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't ever use a dedicated UCL, but that's only because I haven't looked into it much and I don't like using products "just cuz." IMO, it might help, since the rings theoretically ride along a microsopically thin layer of oil coating the cylinder wall, but I can't say whether the average car's oiling system really needs any help keeping that layer there in the first place. I have been curious whether an UCL that doesn't negatively affect octane might be benificial in a higher performance application, though.

Last edited:
The best for UCL in my experiences aside from Redline SI-1 because it's a bit too early to tell is:

Lucas
MMO
TCW3 (Never had great results with this)

Steve, When I was driving a lot I read BMW recommended using SL1 in every tank so I tried it for a couple of years and was very satisfied with the results - fuel economy and throttle response was better. The bottles were marked with 10 gallon increments so it was easy to estimate how much to add.

Amsoil PI hasn't done anything for me, even after trying 8 or 10 bottles. It was old stock and the newer stuff might be better/fresher/reformulated but I couldn't determine any improvement.

Do you have a Red Line supplier nearby? I have been getting a case at a time from Amazon since my local retail dealer closed.

Yeah I have someone nearby that carries the Redline product line.

He add's his markup but he is fair...

The Amsoil PI worked great for me and unclogged a dirty fuel injector that nothing seemed to work on. I also noticed improvement in the engines I have used it on.

Since finding SI-1 1/3rd cheaper for me, that makes it a no brainer.

Steve

I throughput about 15 gallons / 57 L each fill up, so at 1.5 ounces per 10 gallons I am looking at 65mL per fillup.

I am going to do a full dose on an upcoming 300km x2 trip and then do the maintenance dose.

Originally Posted By: robshelton

Amsoil PI hasn't done anything for me, even after trying 8 or 10 bottles. It was old stock and the newer stuff might be better/fresher/reformulated but I couldn't determine any improvement.

The PI didn't do much for me either, I tried it about a year ago. I had better results with RL as well. I watch Amazon they have deals on it from time to time which included free shipping. It was very reasonably priced when I bought it.

I know when I use Lucas in my fuel my Chrome ring wear metals drop to 0 on my UOA's from 2-3ppm so I think it is.
wink.gif

Good to know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back