Redline oil = quicker revving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
‘14 ctsv wagon w/30k miles

Since new have always run PUP 5w30, and just today switched to Redline 5w30. Engine feels quicker to rev on heel/toe downshifts than before. I don't notice any other subjective differences thus far (power, mpg or lack thereof, etc) but definitely feels like the flywheel lost a pound or two. Anyone else notice a similar effect with Redline?

Redline is great oil.

I achieved best fuel mileage ever, by 1 mpg when I ran it in an `06 Odyssey.
Maybe a fluke but never hit 27 mpg highway again.

Otherwise, I could tell no difference.

Last edited:
I suspect that you'd have a hard time documenting that with real data. Even using other oils that cost less than half
of what Redline is holding people up for!

Originally Posted by stanlee
I think my truck is 5whp more powerful every time I do an oil change lol.

My vehicles feel like they double in power and the MPGs increase 11%

Your engine becomes more powerful with every change you make, including fuzzy dice on the mirror.
banana2.gif

I always used Mobil 1 in my Civic Si, and then one time I thought why not and put out the extra dough for Redline. I swore there was a difference in how quickly or "freely" the motor reved. And that motor did like to run at higher RPM... just over 8,000 RPM. I guessed it was placebo effect but at the same time I drove that car alot...

I've seen the effect of oil with a lower friction coefficient on one of my carbureted engines. The idle fuel and air delivery is static mechanical at the carb. This engine was set at 1000 rpm idle in neutral. When we switched it from Valvoline VR1 to Driven XP, the idle increased by 120 rpm. I had to adjust the idle speed screw down to bring the idle back down. I didn't notice any free rev change as that engine already has really snappy throttle response due to a very low bobweight.

During the winter months the 0w20 Redline feels less sluggish during start-up than any other 0w20 I have used. Quicker revving I don't know but smoother YES. Slightly higher hths and better base oil, etc will keep consumption down which may increase compression too. To get the more accurate feeling of it you would need to run it a couple of times to make sure that you are still feeling.Then there will be talk of it killing catalytic converters. Ran it now for over 130,000 miles and no such thing. If you are driving it everyday AND getting it up to operation temperature you should have no problem. Glad you're liking the new oil.

I get this effect with any new oil I use in my Hyundai turbo. It more has to do with "new oil" I have found out. New oil and I feel a quicker reving motor and that fades after a couple hundred miles and then stays the same....Placebo effect for me maybe? I have always had a good butt dyno though.

changing ALL my low mile OE drivetrain lubes to redline in my 28 thou frontier V-6 6 spd manual 4WD netted me about 3 mpgs again + again so its no fluke. Redline is a superior real synthetic lube that costs between 2 to 3 times more, but it lasts longer + protects better so its worth it to me. engine oil is a brand name cheap 10-30 syn in Pa changed 6 months as i do a lot of shorties + change a the end of summer + winters regardless of miles

If I were commenting on this thread I would tend to agree with you guys...placebo effect. But here's my rationale...

In all of my vehicles, I heel/toe every downshift just to keep mundane drives somewhat interesting. After picking up the car from the oil change to Redline, I was slightly over-reviving almost every downshift on the way home. It's wasn't so much "wow the engine feels revvier" but more so "why the [censored] do I keep over-blipping downshifts".

Im not after some scientific rationale for this as much as I'm just curious if others have experienced the same.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Redline having a higher KV100, I would expect the opposite

This has been my expereince in the engine and transmision, noticably so. Seams like more cushioning and smoother, but not less restrictive. This is also why it is the only oil I will use in the rams fluid options, all of them brake, tranny, gears, engine, and some of their other offerings as well. Backed up with long term uoa's and the great things this fluid does to eliminate shudder in trans, it is it's strength imo. I'd say the 5w20 could be smoother and equal in "revs" to other 5w20's, but the 5w30 doesn't have this effect imo. Butter smooth yes, but not that thing.

Originally Posted by Marco620
During the winter months the 0w20 Redline feels less sluggish during start-up than any other 0w20 I have used. Quicker revving I don't know but smoother YES. Slightly higher hths and better base oil, etc will keep consumption down which may increase compression too. To get the more accurate feeling of it you would need to run it a couple of times to make sure that you are still feeling.Then there will be talk of it killing catalytic converters. Ran it now for over 130,000 miles and no such thing. If you are driving it everyday AND getting it up to operation temperature you should have no problem. Glad you're liking the new oil.

And this would be those pao's, cold weather performance. You can visually see it in those cold flow engine oil youtunes, or use the paper on pao's, but their is science behind this. Sadly, many people would rather ignore this and toss shade, but to each their own. PAO and Esters both perform better in the cold then mineral oil. They can dress up group 3 to perform similary to what 4/5 do naturally, but with pao you get that awesome cold start day 1 to mile 10k, and that does not happen with dressed up group 3's. In other words, that girls make up is coming off at the end of the night but my girl is still fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back