Redline MTL & NV3550

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running SF's SynchroGlide right now... It shouldn't be too hard to beat this report. Man oh man, I'm glad i did a UOA.

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 25 (Avg: 92)
COPPER 36 (Avg: 41)
LEAD 12 (Avg: 4)
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 5
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 32
SILICON 18
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 3243
MAGNESIUM 78
PHOSPHORUS 2684
ZINC 3386
BARIUM 4

SUS VISCOSITY@ 210 ºF 57.9 (should be 51-59)
Flash 430
Water 0
INSOLUBLES % .2

quote:

Copper and lead were mildly high in this initial sample of manual transmission fluid. Copper
is not higher than average but it's out of balance in relation to iron. Are you having problems with this
transmission? Manual tranny fluid rarely needs to be changed. Let us know if you are doing anything
with your Jeep that would be causing the high wear. The insolubles were below average but we did
find visible bronze metals in the oil. That may indicate poor wear at the clutch plating, which goes
along with the copper and lead. We will keep an eye on it for you.

test

How many miles on this oil?

Iron and copper not too bad at all, and lead does seem a bit high but too close to call, but much depends on mileage and how hard it's driven.

Well, most of the copper would be coming from synchronizers if it is a non-industrial transmission.

The lead would be from sleeve bearings (minor contributor) and synchronizer (major contributor) as well.

Fe or iron is from gear teeth, bearings, and shifter.

One thing to remember is that MTL is 11.5 cSt and the SynchroGlide is 9.3 cSt in terms of kinematic viscosity.

I would expect to see lower wear on all three metals with SynchroGlide, assuming no prior transmission mechanical problems. You will have better cold weather shifting and less synchro clash with the SynchroGlide.

When I did my first oil change in my Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) NV-3500 tranny, I noticed a lot of stuff on the magnetic drain plug. I did the change at about 25,000 miles. I refilled with GM Synchromesh semi-synthetic fluid because the Chevy dealer sells it for 10 bucks a quart and Chrysler sells it for 12 bucks a quart. Now I found out that Autozone sells Pennzoil brand Sybchromesh fluid for 5 bucks a quart. Don't know if it's semi synthetic or not though. I haven't heard of any inherent problems with this transmission. I had a NV tranny in my old 1996 S-10 4 cyl. truck and it held up very well. I think it was a NV-1500 but not sure. It used the same fluid but with a GM friction modifier. The smaller tranny actually took more fluid (3 qts.) than the 3500.

I forgot to mention that the oil has only 9K miles on it. The tranny has about 25K miles on it and it hasn't really been driven too hard.

I didn't think it was a horrible report until I read the Blackstone comments.

quote:

...but it's out of balance in relation to iron. Are you having problems with this
transmission?

quote:

...but we did
find visible bronze metals in the oil.

Hopefully, most of the manf. crud and metallic particles have been flushed out with the old fluid and wear metals should show a declining trend.

I think that is a pretty good report, not bad numbers at all. I think Blackstone got their remarks wrong on this one. See what the trend shows. I think MTL was doing it's job, the SF fluids should show well too. I've got an MTL report on my NV T-850 tranny , numbers are close to yours and pretty good overall IMO. Particularly on a new tranny. I think they manufacture their trannies to form fit with age as they wear, parts wear into eachother. My tranny seems to be working that way, shifting better as the miles increase.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Hopefully, most of the manf. crud and metallic particles have been flushed out with the old fluid and wear metals should show a declining trend.

I change my tranny and T case oil every year and still see a cloud of fine "aluminum dust" ,I guess you can call it,in the drain pan every time I do it.Each year there is less and less and everything works great.My Cherokee has 100,000 miles on it with seeing this cloudy "metalic mist" in the drain pan every year and my Wrangler 65,000 miles on it and they work better than new.I'm a firm believer of "drain & filling" fluids on a regular basis...no such a thing as "fill for life" unless the life span is a progresively short and problematic one for componants.MY .02 cents
grin.gif

Sunlight and used manual trans oil will horrify you.
There is no filter. I've never seen it fail.
How does it shift? Other noted problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back