Boron 20
Silicon 17
Sodium 17
Calcium 2485
Magnesium 7
Phosphorus 1426
Zinc 1615
Barium 1

SUS Visc.@210F = 80.2 (strong 40 weight)
Flashpoint = 435
TBN = 10.0

Bill J,

Thanks for the analysis. I did not know that Red Line had a 5W40. I only knew about their 15W40 Diesel oil. Interesting, that is why I like this site, I learn every day.

I wish someone from Redline would tell us why they use almost 700ppm of moly. Is it too much of a good thing??

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Vetteman a UOA of it is in your PM box

Thanks for the analysis. I don't use Redline and I was surprised to see the 5W40 along with the 15W40. I will admit I spend 80% of my time looking at diesel oils and tend to gloss over the gas engine oils.

"I wish someone from Red Line would tell us why they use almost 700ppm of moly. Is it too much of a good thing??"

You could ask Dave Granquist. He's usually the one answering their e-mail but I'm guessing the reason is proprietary (company secret).

Bob has stated good reasons for using the modest (100-200ppms) levels of molybdenum that Schaeffer and others use but my theory is that the much greater concentration of moly may affect its adhesion (plating up) rate on metal surfaces. The higher the concentration, the quicker the moly will bond to surfaces which are hot and/or under pressure.

Most engines won't know the difference between 600 and 200ppms of moly, but a super-high RPM (racing) motor might benefit from the higher concentration.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

(P.S. to original post)

The turn around time for this Blackstone analysis was 5 days, from snail mail - to e-mail, I'm impressed.

The silicon levels in Redline sure make it difficult to tell if you have an air filter problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I wish someone from Redline would tell us why they use almost 700ppm of moly. Is it too much of a good thing??

Yeah and while you're at it ask Synergen what is in their additive.
smile.gif
I.e. it ain't gonna happen. I suspect some people on this board probably know the reason, but can't say. I think it's a case where you let the analysis speak for themselves (e.g. all that are not first run or have been flushed have been phenominal) and quit thinking about it like you might possibly know more than Red Line engineers...because you don't
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back