Redline 10w40 or Motul 300v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Picking up a basically new 2000 Zx12r this coming week.

I am deciding between Motul 300v 10w40 or Redline 10w40.

I have read the OCI forums. Wanted to get opinions on which oil is the best? I will change it at every 2 to 3k miles. I never run it long.

Thanks

I had a 2000 ZX-12R on order, until Germany's Motorrad magazine testbike hucked a rod through the cases, and the release was delayed for months. Eventually I bought a 2002 ZX-12R, then a 'Busa. Anyway in my heavily modified 'Busa I'm running Motul 300V 4T, in 15w50. Same in the modified S1000RR, and Duc V4 Speciale. A close second is the Redline M/C oil, but I've only tried that in the 'Busa. The BMW and Duc both went from the factory fill, to the Motul 300V 4T.

Anyway, so my opinion gives a slight edge to the Motul 300V 4T, over the Redline M/C oil.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I had a 2000 ZX-12R on order, until Germany's Motorrad magazine testbike hucked a rod through the cases, and the release was delayed for months. Eventually I bought a 2002 ZX-12R, then a 'Busa. Anyway in my heavily modified 'Busa I'm running Motul 300V 4T, in 15w50. Same in the modified S1000RR, and Duc V4 Speciale. A close second is the Redline M/C oil, but I've only tried that in the 'Busa. The BMW and Duc both went from the factory fill, to the Motul 300V 4T.

Anyway, so my opinion gives a slight edge to the Motul 300V 4T, over the Redline M/C oil.

Appreciate that feedback. Motul it is! Any concern over the 300v not having detergents? Not that it would matter much with a 2 to 3k change interval.

Originally Posted by JPowell490
Not that it would matter much with a 2 to 3k change interval.

You, sir, deserve to treat yourself to much more two-wheeled enjoyment than only 2-3k. As we all do.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not that it would matter much with a 2 to 3k change interval.

You, sir, deserve to treat yourself to much more two-wheeled enjoyment than only 2-3k. As we all do.

Oh I definitely plan on it!

Help me out here, fellas. You state you will go 2-3k between changes "I never run it long". Then another poster says you need to treat yourself to more than only 2-3k. Then you say "I plan on it".

My question for you is are you running this oil past 2000 to 3000 miles or not?

It is an absolute waste of oil and money to run any synthetic oil that short of drain interval.

Not sure what your statement about 300 V not having detergents means? It has a good load of calcium, minimal magnesium and good amounts of boron, and moly.

Originally Posted by Bonz
It is an absolute waste of oil and money to run any synthetic oil that short of drain interval.

I certainly feel that way about 300V. From my memory of browsing UOAs it holds up remarkably well. If I were going to use it, it would be for that purpose. For a short OCIs, there;s always Motul 5100. Or so many inexpensive oils.

Seems to me with today's quality of synthetic oil and filters, it's a wait of $$ not to go at least 3000 miles between changes.

Originally Posted by Bonz
Help me out here, fellas. You state you will go 2-3k between changes "I never run it long". Then another poster says you need to treat yourself to more than only 2-3k. Then you say "I plan on it".

My question for you is are you running this oil past 2000 to 3000 miles or not?

Not sure what your statement about 300 V not having detergents means? It has a good load of calcium, minimal magnesium and good amounts of boron, and moly.

It was my understanding that this is race oil and doesn't have the longevity of a normal 7 or 8k synthetic. Now if I am wrong, please tell me.

Second, money is not a problem and I don't think anything of changing oil that often. Makes me feel better. It's about having the best, not a cost issue.

Thank you Bonz,

I appreciate the facts. That reassures me on the oil. I will run it a bit longer.

Originally Posted by 02SE

Appreciate that feedback. Motul it is! Any concern over the 300v not having detergents? Not that it would matter much with a 2 to 3k change interval.

I don't know who told you it doesn't have detergents. It keeps my engines clean as can be. On the 'Busa which is much larger displacement than stock, and overall in a much higher state of tune, the stresses on everything are much greater than when it was all stock. The oil is still holding up fine and the shifting is as smooth as can be, when I change it typically at the end of every riding season. Mileage on the oil varies, but typically it's pretty close to 3k miles. I could run it longer, but I like to park the bikes for winter with fresh oil in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back