Red Line or Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going replace the OEM tranny and gear oil very soon and after reading on forum which deal with the E46 ( BMW 3-series 99+) I've understood that the preferred aftermarket oil is either Red Line or Royal Purple.

Price not being an issue, which of the two companies would you gents recommend?

Now keep in mind that it can hit -30 Celcius here in the winter time, so cold weather 'performance' is a factor that I need to consider.

I've e-mailed Royal Purple about which oil they recommend, and i'll be adding this info to the thread as soon as I get a response from them.

Red Line suggested D4-ATF for the Tranny and P/S and 75W90 for the Differential.

Any preliminary opinions?

In just added Redline 75W90 Limited Slip Gear Oil to my car.

I am alos in your dilemna for my 4L60E 4speed Automatic Transmission. I plan to get it T-Tech flushed and filled with:

"Can't make up my mind" *lol*

A)Royal Purple ATF (Dexron-Mercon III)

B)Red Line D4 ATF (Dexron-Mercon III)

C)Mobil 1 ATF (Dexron-Mercon III)

D) Some Shaeffers Blend?

I think all the above are excellent choices! Does anyone know of if Ford Mercon V is compatible to Dexron-Mercon III specifications?

T-Tech?

Hmmm you being in Quebec, I am sure some dealer has it.

There are two machines that you can use.

A) T-tech

B) BG Transmission Infuser

Basically these machines attach to the cooler lines of your transmission getting more than 95% of the old fluid out.

Standard pan changes only add 4qts of new fluid to 8-10qts of OLD fluid.'

Now if you are switching to a good fluid or for any reason at all...why would you want to add outstanding fluid to old contaminated stuff?

Email BG or look up T-Tech to find a dealer. Also make sure you have the dealer install a new PAN FILTER and Gasket prior to the service.

Any reputable dealer will always do the Pan/Filter Service before a T-tech.

I'll take a look in the yellow pages for T-Tech and BG Transmission infuser.
smile.gif

Well seems so far that Red Line gets 1 vote
wink.gif

Asmodeus, try doing a search. There's a lot of talk about gear oils on this forum (this subsection) during the past year, year and a half.

--- Bror Jace

Asmo,

Sorry to clarify. You will not find"them" directly in the phone book. What i meat is to enter a search of T-Tech or BG Products online and contact the companies directly. What they will do in return is give you all the dealers that have purchased thier machines.

I have used the RP maxgear oil in a BW super T-10 for years with no problems. I just switched my diffs over to it as well. I cannot comment on redline, as I have never used any of their products. I have many friends who use redline oils exclusively and love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back