Red Grease?

Hi - I recently bought a new utility trailer. When I popped off the rubber hub covers, I noticed they had grease fittings and were loaded with red grease. All the grease I have used in the past were a tan or black color.

Does the red color signify anything? Should I keep using red grease ? Or is it OK to mix and match greases? Who make the best red grease?

Also, how often would you recommend greasing the hubs?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by RichardZ
Hi - I recently bought a new utility trailer. When I popped off the rubber hub covers, I noticed they had grease fittings and were loaded with red grease. All the grease I have used in the past were a tan or black color.

Does the red color signify anything? Should I keep using red grease ? Or is it OK to mix and match greases? Who make the best red grease?

Thanks in advance!

Red (the dye) is chosen by the manufacturer and is meaningless unless you happen to be colorblind

Mixing is OK provided you follow the tables ( all over the net and here) and don't mix certain types of thickeners and additives. Its always "best practice" to mechanically clean but not mandatory

No such thing as "best" grease- just volumes of individual opinions. Any grease that meets the requirements of your specific application is "best"

How often depends on your individual driving and loads for the trailer but in general low payload use under say 500 miles and not immersing- an annual repack should be more than adequate for a homeowner.

I have used Lucas Red N tacky and an #2 lithium based EP general purpose from Lubrication engineers that were both "red"

If all of the oil has sperated out of it and is seeping out of the seals, it is probably Mobile One Synthetic. If it looks like healthy red grease, Lucas Red'n Tacky is a common good bet. Your black grease is probably moly doped and not the best choice for wheel bearing if that theory really is true. I would use the Red'nTacky as it is available and relatively inepensive and works.

prs

Thanks for all the responses...I appreciate it! Ordered some Lucas Red'n Tacky and a new grease gun.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by RichardZ

Thanks in advance!

It could be a red moly grease like Red Line Extreme Pressure Grease. It's red.

I noticed some brands use the red color to signify high temperature grease, instead of general multi-purpose grease. The red high temperature can be used in wheel bearings with disc brakes, whereas general purpose grease is not to be used in brake disc wheel bearings. It is not made to take the heat.

Examples are Mystik JT-6 high temperature grease is red, Pennzoil had a high temperature grease, and Peak has a high temperature grease.

Back