recreational oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's still standard practice in some countries to dispose of oil by simply pouring it out somewhere. If that's how you dispose of oil, by all means, extend the oil changes as much as possible.

I used to change my oil a lot when this site first started, mainly because I was addicted to getting my UOAs and seeing if I could top it with the next one.
smile.gif

But now I'm reformed.
smile.gif

I just did a 13 month, 11,600 mile interval in my wife's car, and I'm at over 8500 miles on the oil in my own car right now.

Mr.Tosh, who said I claim this piece of article as my own?
Mr.Pablo I do not like this kind of attitude on this forum when you people say, everything is crap from other internet sites regarding oils only your opinion are right, whatever it is academicly documented or written by highly educated people in this petroleum field.Looks like you only on bobistheoilguy.com know everything about oils and others are jerks.
Let me tell you something, you are a bunch of oil ignorants who are mocked by any, who knows for real about oil industry and these people come here time to time to this site to have fun and lough on you

and these people come here time to time to this site to have fun and lough on you

Even in that capacity ...BITOG serves a purpose. You can say "You're welcome" to them from the membership when you have cause to interact with them.
smile.gif

quote:

Mr.Pablo I do not like this kind of attitude on this forum when you people say, everything is crap from other internet sites regarding oils only your opinion are right, whatever it is academicly documented or written by highly educated people in this petroleum field.Looks like you only on bobistheoilguy.com know everything about oils and others are jerks.
Let me tell you something, you are a bunch of oil ignorants who are mocked by any, who knows for real about oil industry and these people come here time to time to this site to have fun and lough on you

That site has factual errors.

Am I not allowed my opinion? I never, nor did Bitog ever claim to be a full experts site. I'm sure real experts have chuckle on this site all the time, but that doesn't make the Nordic site 100% correct.

quote:

...Let me tell you something, you are a bunch of oil ignorants who are mocked by many, who knows for real about oil industry and these people come here time to time to this site to have fun and laugh on you.

Here we go again with the blanket statements!

I have seen some really silly stuff from Noria over the years. Doesn't mean they are always wrong.

Please, save your tired cliches for other sites. And stop lumping 10,000+ people under one umbrella.

You had me on your side until I read this:

quote:

I remember in 1970 Italian automakers recommended oil change every 10000 km(6000 miles)and these old FIAT, Lancia and Alfa Romeos run well tiil now...

lol.gif
Then I spewed tabacco juices on my previously snot stained CRT monitor. Italian cars ALWAYS run well "until now"
crushedcar.gif

Atlantic1, you invited a lot of criticism making such a blanket statement (though probably true with some people). We actually have all kinds of people participating on this board.... from the anal 'top this!'-kind of people to those who are studying how long we can stretch drain intervals to help the environment and our pocketbook.

If my fingers are itching to work on a car, there's plenty of good elective non-emergency repair work waiting on my fleet.

From the nordic web site:
quote:

...If you look at countries other than the U.S., the oil recommended change interval is much higher than even the normal interval specified by vehicle manufacturers in the U.S....

I'd like to point out that Mercedes goofed big-time with their FSS oil change monitor, ruining many expensive engines. I wonder how much the environment suffered by dealing with engine replacement (time, money, manufacturing resources).

quote:

but if people would be content to do it only when it provides some benefit to the vehicle it would be better.
That apply to majority people on this forum.

Missed that last sentence when I first posted. I have to totally disagree with that. BITOG is where I was converted to longer OCIs.

One of the reasons we have the 3000 mile oil change is because the average guy does not have anything better to go on. Now that GM has the oil life monitor that should change. My father-in-law is using his and, I'm sure, is more than happy to not have to take the car in for oil changes so often. And a co-worker is extending his changes based on the oil life monitor and my discussions with him.

The real issue is education. And as long as the oil companies continue to say 3000 miles, it's going to be tough to convert people.

All that said, I would much rather error on the side of changing too soon than too late.

i could see where someone "in the know" would be a bit discontented with bitog. we have alot of people here who are more or less self proclaimed "oil experts". no one here has any real credible certifications, except a few, the av lube fellow comes to mind as one member with credible certifications. maybe thats why he doesnt post much? im sure there are others, but i cant think of any right now.

none the less, i could see where credible tribilogists could have a good laugh at what we do. the quest for the holy quart sized grail of german castrol comes to mind. (which i use). or people making brews of additives which they are not allowed to know what is inside of, and these same people thinking they are somehow prolonging their engines life.

it really comes down to this:
the people here, myself included, do what we each think we should do to prolong the life of our engines and powertrains. that doesnt mean what we do is right, or what we do is actually having any effect. but without the help of real industry experts to chime in we are essentially stuck with doing what we think is the best course of action. it sounds stupid i guess, some people spend their time at a bar, others on trips to costa rica to go surfing. i get some kind of enjoyment out of maintaining my vehicles.

i would love for those people who you say occasionally come here for a chuckle to actually chime in and give their opinion.
if they dont want to take the time to register, maybe one can email me at [email protected]

id like to hear from one of you.

"but without the help of real industry experts to chime in we are essentially stuck with doing what we think is the best course of action."

I may qualify and answer that if everyone on this site used the latest spec oil in whatever application and kept if clean and dry and changed out as UOA will show there is\would be NO reason to have "brews" etc and all the nonsense on this site.

The fact is and I have said it before is ANY quality late spec oil in the right application will run fine and give the maximium performance with NO outside additive or blending help.

But I as some others have to talk oil since I have no life
lol.gif
grin.gif

and what else would I do at night talk to the wife?

Bruce

perhaps i was a bit too vague in that part. i also do not use additives. i did not mean we need additives to prolong our engines life. infact, i believe as you do that oils come with what they need already, and adding things to them just wastes space which could of been occupied by more oil.

Our esteemed topic starter is not the person he is trying to get all to believe. I don't divulge personal info on any poster or member. But with two members curious this is part of the problem and was the giveaway to check to see what was going on as this type statement about our members was posted about a year ago:

quote:

Now for the facts:

1. Listed Portugal as place of Residence
2. Using an email address from Poland
3. Using an IP from the US to post
4. IP matches a previous member

Time to let it rest.

[ January 07, 2006, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

If im saving some money to me thats all that matters but im sure as **** not going to push an oil near its maximum. My engine is too important to me. I plan on doing six month oil changes with amsoil series 3K with amsoil oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back