Recommended Gear Oil for '13 Subaru Outback

I'm looking for recommendations on gear oil for my upcoming transfer case service on my '13 Outback. The Owners Manual calls for GL-5 75W-90. I plan on using synthetic, and am leaning towards the M1, as I am fairly confident in their products, and am a little unfamiliar with the other GL-5 75W-90 synthetic gear oils.

These are the options I am familiar with, and my questions. M1. My once concern about M1 is it has a stated cold pour point of -39C. Every other product has a cold pour point of -48 and lower. How important is this? I mean, -39C is pretty cold, colder than I see in my part of the world.

Redline seems to be a very popular choice for other Subaru owners. Any particular reason why, or simply because is is a well respected product, similar to why I am considering M1?

What about Valvoline Synpower? And last, Royalpurple. I found it for a reasonable price. Any particular qualities?

Please advise. I'm really more interested in any knowledge based upon study of the specs, or sample testing. Not so much interested in "I've used Brand X my entire life and it has served me well." I suspect that could be said of any of the products mentioned above. Just want to know if anyone knows a particular advantage of one in my particular application.

I assume you mean the front and rear differentials....not the transfer case. Or did something change in 2013?

Anyhow, both front and rear are easy to change. Along with tranny fluid....at least they are on my wife's 2009 Forester.

I just put Redline 75w90 GL-5 front and rear in her car. Along with 3 D/F's with Subaru's ATF-HP.

I cannot suggest Mobil 1 for the front diff/manual transmission combo. It does not play well with the syncros of the older Subarus, and I don't know if it would work for the new ones. It would be fine for the rear diff, or the front diff in an automatic transmission.

Subaru Extra-S gear oil is good stuff, but hard to find.

Pick a flavor and use with confidence. I've used Eneos, royal purple, subaru extra s, valvoline with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I assume you mean the front and rear differentials....not the transfer case. Or did something change in 2013?

Anyhow, both front and rear are easy to change. Along with tranny fluid....at least they are on my wife's 2009 Forester.

I just put Redline 75w90 GL-5 front and rear in her car. Along with 3 D/F's with Subaru's ATF-HP.

Oops! You are right. I do mean the front and rear differentials. Thanks! Don't know what I was thinking.

In that case, all I can say is the Mobil 1 75W90 I have in my diffs did just fine during this brutal Chicago winter.

I have Supertech 80w-90 in my Manual/front diff and rear diff and it shifts fine. I'm sure any of the above will work just fine too.

As others have mentioned, most any 75w-90 will do you fine.

Check out Renewable Lubricants 75w-90 GL5. Amazon price with free ship is almost identical, in price per quart, to Mobil 1. 187 VI, -48 pour, 220 flash and they actually list the foam sequence test.

There is nothing bad about Valvoline Synpower or Royal Purple gear oil in your case. I have used both in many cars.

RP is in my car and my mom's car right now because I got a good price on it.

If your car used a manual transmission, Subaru drivers recommend using only Extra-S 75w90 in the front.

Honestly, I never really worried about what gear oil was absolute best, because most people don't change the stuff until something needs repair, and because many OEM gear oils are non-synthetic.

Thanks everyone. Many of you have confirmed what I already suspected. Using a gear oil from any of the leading brands will be a good choice. Especially if I am changing gear oil on a regular basis as part of a preventative maintenance routine.

I still have a few thousand miles before I am due for the service, so I'll start watching for a sale on any of these synthetics, and see what comes up.

Back