Recommended dirtbike 2 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a super clean '99 Yamaha YZ125 for my son and was wondering what 2 stroke oil you guys recommend. I've been out of the dirtbike world for many years...my last dirtbike was 1984 YZ125 which I used Yamalube oil.

The guy I purchased it from said he only used Castor brand oil. I thought he really meant Castrol, but he showed me the bottle. Never heard of Castor oil. Here it is: http://www.maximausa.com/product/castor-927/

Any recommendations and tips I appreciate from the BITOG gurus.

Last edited:
Castor, that's old school!

My motocross buddy uses Klotz Benol, which is similar. I like the smell too.

Just the same, I use Red Line. I prefer modern technology.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Castor, that's old school!

My motocross buddy uses Klotz Benol, which is similar. I like the smell too.

Just the same, I use Red Line. I prefer modern technology.

That's exactly what I was thinking and just started researching the 2T oils. I use REDLINE in my Harley and I like it so I think I will probably use Redline.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just picked up a super clean '99 Yamaha YZ125 for my son and was wondering what 2 stroke oil you guys recommend. I've been out of the dirtbike world for many years...my last dirtbike was 1984 YZ125 which I used Yamalube oil.

The guy I purchased it from said he only used Castor brand oil. I thought he really meant Castrol, but he showed me the bottle. Never heard of Castor oil. Here it is: http://www.maximausa.com/product/castor-927/

Castor isn't really a brand, its the bean the oil comes from. Popular with racers, and the additive in the "original" Castrol, hence the name. Tends to coke up a lot but very high film strength so resistant to seizure.

As described, that Castor 927 stuff is quite a sophisticated mix and may at least partly get around the coking problem.

I use Castrol 2T, Mobil 2T or Kymco 2T. The latter is the most expensive and seems to smoke a bit less, but you probably can't get it in the US. I've been told, but can't confirm, that its re-branded Motul.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Castor isn't really a brand, its the bean the oil comes from. Popular with racers, and the additive in the "original" Castrol, hence the name. Tends to coke up a lot but very high film strength so resistant to seizure.

As described, that Castor 927 stuff is quite a sophisticated mix and may at least partly get around the coking problem.

I use Castrol 2T, Mobil 2T or Kymco 2T. The latter is the most expensive and seems to smoke a bit less, but you probably can't get it in the US. I've been told, but can't confirm, that its re-branded Motul.

Excellent info thanks - I was also thinking Castrol 2T because I can get it locally even at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Which Castrol or Mobil 2T do you use? if the Kymco is more expensive, I suspect the others are semi-syn and the Kymco synthetic?

That Maxima 927 is as good as it gets. Continue using it if you have source. If you don't have a source then mail-order.

It really is that good.

Maxima 927 is excellent!!! Highly regarded.

Another great oil not mentioned yet is Torco's 2T oil. Excellent as well.

Redline is good stuff as well.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Amsoil interceptor if it were mine

X2 That was the best full syn 2 stroke oil I ever used.

i raced several years using yamalube 2R
powervalves were very clean with it
of course you actually have to know how to jet as well

mobil 1 2T would be a great choice as well and i've race with it as well

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
All the recommendations above are great. Motul 800 2t is another good one.

+1 Motul has been my go-to high end 2-stroke oil for years
smile.gif

FWIW I tore down a Lawn-Boy 2 stroke mower that I bought new in 1999 and the rings, bearings and cylinder had no noticeable wear. I had bad rod bearings from my son constantly running it at low RPMs while the chute was partially clogged up. Amsoil 2 stroke oil since new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I had bad rod bearings from my son constantly running it at low RPMs while the chute was partially clogged up.

Why in the world would he run it like that?

We all love our kids but they do the darndest things sometimes.
33.gif

Most "what oil" discussions on BITOG are a bit moot because it generally doesn't matter much.

With 2-stroke oil, I think it actually does, though I can't prove it.

Amsoil Interceptor in my 2010 YZ125 since new,

don't know about other brands but I've noticed that any excess oil buildup in the powervalves or exhaust
is easily wiped off, never any baked on or hard deposits needing scrubing to remove.

Wow all kinds of excellent suggestions! Thanks everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back