Recommended 5w20 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A manufacturer specifies use of an oil that provides better MPG and great protection at the same time - sounds like the efficient design philosophy you are looking for, speedtc!

The engine oil capacity should be embossed on the fill cap; not everyone is going to memorize that figure, particularly with multiple cars.
There is precious little difference between 5-20 and 10-30 oil - with a "heavier" oil the MPG may drop by as much as 1%.
The biggest factor with engine warranties is people changing the oil properly in the first place, also starting and driving properly - some people just do not do this...

After doing alot of research i will continue to use 5w20 all year round even in the hot humid chicago summers. I use castrol syntec so i'm already going overboard with protection.

Most if not all '06 Hyundais & Kias are now 5w20 specified...

Like a good Bitoger, I've inspected the oil caps of new offerings of various brands on display at the LA Autoshow, not to mention searching where the oil filters are for each engine..and did a "smell-o-vision" of new oem oil fills via the dipstick.
grin.gif

For the Honda & Toyota aficionados, I've seen first hand the new Honda Fit, the New Toy Yaris & New Camry...

Speed TC - Check the many UOAs for 0- and 5W20 oils, you'll see very good results for Fords, Hondas and others. In the colder winters of the Chicago area, 5W20 makes sense to me. For summers, 5W30 might seem more comfortable, but we've been running 5W20 year round in our Honda for several years, and the UOAs for both summer and winter have been very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back