Recommendations for UOA with changeover to syn MS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (2.3 turbo) has 18,000 miles on it and I'm finally ready to make the jump to synthetic. I've never had a UOA done and I'm curious as to whether you analysis experts think I should do one on this last load of Dino or wait until after the first syn run. I've been an early change villain (I know, I know). Here's it's history....

All oil is 5W-30, all filters Mazda OE, miles shown are OCIs

1250-first oil change PBY
1200-cp-e CAI with dry filter and filter sock
3000-PBY
2910-PBY
2885-PBY
3355-PBY
3680-Castrol GTX

The GTX currently has about 1000 miles on it. I have laid in a supply of PP. The CAI filter has not been touched since installation. Would you test the Castrol when it comes out or just wait to get some miles on the syn?

Just go full synthetic. Its a turbo. It has possible fuel dilution issues. I would've filled it with full synthetic the 1st time it was parked in the driveway.

For UOA interval, what is the weekly mileage and driving pattern like?

I have a four mile one way commute to work and I drive home for lunch when I'm not traveling on business. So, that's four 4 mile runs per day. Obviously, 6000 miles a year isn't much. The only time the car has been taken out of the city has been the one hour run each way to pick up my daughter from college once every couple of months. Because of the turbo, short runs and appearance of the oil, I've been changing about every six months without really worrying about the miles. I feel pretty certain the thing is well broken in at this point. For one thing, the mileage has improve since about 10,000. I'm starting to wonder about the air filter and hoping the sock is keeping it clean. It's up under the wheel well behind the liner and a real pita to get at. is it high silicon that indicates poor filter performance?

Definitely go synthetic. Our car is Direct Injected and Turbo charged. You do lots of short trips. All of these are very hard on oils. Your driving conditions and that car are pretty much the poster boy for using a synthetic oil. Also look for a low NOACK rating to help with intake valve deposits. Valvoline SynPower's new 5w30 SN oil has one of the best %7 for an over the counter oil. Also Pennzoil Platinum is a known good performer in our car with tons of UOA's out there on it at another Mazda specific forum. So if Pennzoil is your fav brand you could for for it or Ultra. As for Castrol, Edge performed exceptional in my car and is one of the best oil's I've ever ran in it imo.

As for your question, go for it. I'd love to see a UOA of our engine on conventional oil. I've only ever seen 1 other one as most of us all run synthetic.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Definitely go synthetic. Our car is Direct Injected and Turbo charged. You do lots of short trips. All of these are very hard on oils. Your driving conditions and that car are pretty much the poster boy for using a synthetic oil. Also look for a low NOACK rating to help with intake valve deposits. Valvoline SynPower's new 5w30 SN oil has one of the best %7 for an over the counter oil. Also Pennzoil Platinum is a known good performer in our car with tons of UOA's out there on it at another Mazda specific forum. So if Pennzoil is your fav brand you could for for it or Ultra. As for Castrol, Edge performed exceptional in my car and is one of the best oil's I've ever ran in it imo.

As for your question, go for it. I'd love to see a UOA of our engine on conventional oil. I've only ever seen 1 other one as most of us all run synthetic.

Oh, here you are. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I'm definitely going syn and definitely going with PP as I've already laid in a 6gl supply [caught AZ with gls on clearance making room for 5qts]. I will do the UOA on this last load of dino just for fun. I think I'll wait for 3K or so just to be consistent with previous OCIs. Already contacted Blackstone for sample containers. I will say this: this car is a blast to drive. I love the CAI intake roar whenever I step on it. The only other mod I've installed is a short shift kit which I would also highly recommend. If only it were RWD, it would be just about perfect. Also, don't forget the Blizzaks...which I already swapped back to my RE050s and now it's supposed to snow 2-3 inches tonight
eek.gif

Last edited:
The MS3 is pretty entertaining, but I've discovered that I can't tolerate FWD nearly as well as I thought I could- four years is more than enough for a lifetime.
So the Mazda's days in my garage are numbered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back