Recommendations for a replacement CAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! I just bought a certified 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium that now has about 17,000 on the odometer. I live in a new development that has quite a bit of ongoing construction, and will for some time. You can imagine the amount of dust in the neighborhood. This being said, I'm planning on changing my CAF on a 15k interval. Is there any brand that is considered to be the leader in the replacement market?

cabin filters are a personal preference and where you need to consider price versus just how sensitive you are to air. do you need a hepatitis dust mask to walk outside? do you run air filtration units in your house and have obsessive cleaning regimens?

I think the fram fresh breeze or the upsells that have arm and hammer or carbon or other do make a difference.
however you may just as well be served by changing a cheaper filter twice as often.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking for a quality replacement filter that will do a good job keeping the dust of my HVAC ducts and off of my black interior. I've always used Fram engine air filters and have been satisfied. I know that some filter manufactures do a better job at some types of filters, like Fram air filters vs their oil filters.

For Asian Imports (which is what I generally work on), I usually use Denso or the OE filter from the dealer. In a pinch, I'll sometimes use Wix, but I find them to be priced a bit on the high side for aftermarket.

Some of the charcoal filters will reduce airflow, so unless the OE filter was charcoal, I would not use one.

Last edited:
I use filter material designed for home furnaces. I've got a roll of the stuff that's called HEPA quality. I make up a wooden frame in 2 thin layers plus a rubber seal and glue in the material and clamp it until the glue sets. I change it often because my wife complains about dust that's everywhere around here in the summer time. The filters in the auto parts stores are a lot more expensive and this material looks like it does a better job. I tested a section with the shop vac and it appears to flow the same as the filter from the store. The tennis ball goes to the same height in the PVC pipe after blowing through the material. Science in action. Nothing too tough to handle when you're recovering from surgery and stuck in a wheel chair for a while. My granddaughter and I had a great time with this project.

I'm running out of the stuff because my neighbors like the idea of using it in their vehicles. I figured out that the cost using the big roll is about 2 bucks plus some time and a granddaughter.

CAFs provide great examples of exorbitant list prices. I have experienced the WIX pricing alluded to above.

ATP brand filters are super cheap-a single sheet of thin material stamped into ridges-and have a steep price for customer's bills.

CAFs are where RockAuto pricing comes through even with shipping. Amazon's "Add-On Item" pricing is also a GREAT option because they factor in the light weight.

I have yet to find furnace filter media which looks ANYWHERE near like it'd do the job. I will keep looking. I like the idea of over-changing the CAF.

The last two I purchased were a CARQUEST (former DriveWorks) at AAP for a Honda Accord and an STP at AZ for a GM Equinox this past weekend. Both came boxed and cello wrapped. To my eye both were/are equivalent to the OEMs, could see no difference and both fit great. In fact the Equinox had the OE still in after 79k miles, so comparison was easy.

So IME, when it comes to CAF's I'm looking for something that works and not high priced. And as noted, even the lowest priced ones are overpriced for what they are.

I just use Fram in all the cars - easy to find and they come out fairly dirty around 25k miles ...
Your plan sounds good ...

Originally Posted By: PW01
I'm not sure what type the OEM is but I've read good reviews about the Fram Fresh Breeze filters

Those are the ones that seem to be notorious for reducing air flow.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: PW01
I'm not sure what type the OEM is but I've read good reviews about the Fram Fresh Breeze filters

Those are the ones that seem to be notorious for reducing air flow.

I've read anecdotes expressing that observation too, Amazon to name one iirc. When I noted it once on this board, got jumped on pretty good. So now careful what I say about them. That said, I don't use them just because of that observation. Standard CAFs (non charcoal) seem to work fine IME, and are what OE use.

I buy the cheapest ones from Rock auto and change out both cars every June.
Even with shipping I get two for the price of one at a local store.
They are not the same quality as a Fram or Purolator but for 12 months they do the job.

Hello again,
I just bought a CORTECO (German made) replacement charcoal filter for my car and was IMPRESSED by the quality AND price.

They call themselves the #1 maker of filters in the world (whatever that may mean).

See if their catalog covers your car with either charcoal or non-charcoal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back