Recommend synthetic brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Valvoline brake fluid, meets Dot4 spec.
But honestly any brake fluid will work fine unless you are racing or doing some crazy off roading and cooking the brakes.

Any off the shelf DOT3 fluid will work for regular driving conditions. All brake fluid is synthetic and compatible with hydraulic brake systems which is why there is no "good" or "recommended" brake fluid. Unless you want get into boutique brake fluids such as ATE, Pentosin, Brembo, etc.

Last edited:
There are other brake fluids which have higher specs for wet and dry boiling point. Valvoline dot 3 & 4 is usually the cheapest, but they just meet minimum specs for dot 4. There are other dot 4 fluids out there that have way higher numbers. But it could be meaningless if you're not hard on the brakes. Just grab any Dot 4 fluid and check the numbers.

depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is just regular driving you should bias your towards a dot3 fluid which has a longer lifespan.

Choosing a dot4 that has higher performance specs especially those for racing may trade off longevity.

Some auto makers are specifying a low viscosity brake fluid like DOT 4 LV such as in some modern Fords, Lincolns, VW's, Audi's... .
The LV brake fluid operates better in such vehicles during very cold weather for stability and traction control.

I have been using the Toyota Super Heavy Duty brake fluid in our dad's 2006 Tundra. Working really well so far.

Bosch ESI6
Wagner Severe Duty
Ravenol DOT 5.1
Pentosin DOT 4 LV
ATE SL6
Castrol DOT 4 (formerly called LMA)

But don't worry! Even if you don't want to spend that much on brake fluid, you don't have to. Even the cheap DOT 3 or 4 at Walmart will be just fine, as long as you change it regularly. Valvoline DOT 3/4 is also a good product and often on sale at a good price.

Regular fluid changes are much more important than what fluid you use.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Stupertech DOT 4. Just used it to flush my system. Brakes feel wonderful.

You mean Supertech Dot 4? Looks like Walmart comes through again. Must be new, haven't really heard of it til now. That's a pretty good price for a quart of Dot 4, $5.74. I wish the web site listed the wet and dry boiling points.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is just regular driving you should bias your towards a dot3 fluid which has a longer lifespan.

Choosing a dot4 that has higher performance specs especially those for racing may trade off longevity.

This. ^^^^^

Scott

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Is synthetic brake fluid less hygroscopic than standard?
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Isn't all brake fluid synthetic?

Yes, all brake fluid that we're concerned with is a synthetic and has been since I can remember but, I really don't know its whole history. This will help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Stupertech DOT 4. Just used it to flush my system. Brakes feel wonderful.

Yup, saw this at Walmart the other day and used it to bleed the brakes in my mom's SUV.
Feels much better than the 10 year old DOT 3 that come in it.

I have debated going with DOT 5.1 on my motorcycle on my next flush.
No idea what was in it, or how old it was, when I got it, but the Advance Auto DOT 4 gives better brake feel, and the clutch feels better also.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Supertech Dot 4? Looks like Walmart comes through again. Must be new, haven't really heard of it til now. That's a pretty good price for a quart of Dot 4, $5.74. I wish the web site listed the wet and dry boiling points.

The boiling points are probably the minimum for DOT 4:
446 dry
311 wet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back