Recommend oil for 2009 Forf Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is coming up on 104000 miles. I've used 5w-20 Dino, syn blend and full synthetic as well as FS high mileage. I generally use the Motorcraft FL500S filter. Ford specs 5w-20. I have a jug of ST 5w-20 FS HM on deck but I was considering to go with 0W-20 and a SuperTech filter for my upcoming OC. It leaks absolutely nothing and maybe consumes a quart in 5000 miles of driving.
I don't drive as much as I used to. Mostly around town and highway to the beach on weekends.

Recommendations for an 0W-20 or stick with 5w-20?

Last edited:
What engine? (not that it really matters, just curious...

No reason to change from FL500S or 5/20 though 0/20 won't hurt anything.

Consider replacing your PCV valve if you haven't already done so, it may help with your oil consumption. Use a Ford part only, not aftermarket.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

don't wanna speak for the OP, but IIRC the only engine available for that model/year was the 3.5l V6
and since he's using the the FL500s, that engine was built after Jan, '09(prior to then, like my old '09 Sable, and mom's '09 Taurus, with build dates in Aug, and Sept '08, used an FL400s)

OP: keep an eye out for a weepy leak from the water pump...at that age/mileage it could fail at any time. if it starts to weep, get it changed ASAP. the Pump on these engines is in the Valley between the heads, and when it fails, it dumps all the coolant into the oil pan. yes, just getting the pump changed could cost up to 2 grand... but a new engine is about 5.

I have an 08 edge. It has had 15w-40 HDEO in it since new. 230,000 miles. Uses no oil in 6,000 mile change intervals. Runs perfect. If you keep running that thin oil your car is going to keep burning that thin crap. Anyone wonder why the same engines in Europe are always recommended to run thinker oils.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
I have an 08 edge. It has had 15w-40 HDEO in it since new. 230,000 miles. Uses no oil in 6,000 mile change intervals. Runs perfect. If you keep running that thin oil your car is going to keep burning that thin crap. Anyone wonder why the same engines in Europe are always recommended to run thinker oils.

crackmeup2.gif

no reason OP should run 15w40 in this application. Plenty of these over 200k on 20wt oils and no oil usage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rideahorse

Yeah, because this thing called the Autobahn. Where you can drive 120 mph for two hours at a time.

Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by DuckRyder

don't wanna speak for the OP, but IIRC the only engine available for that model/year was the 3.5l V6
and since he's using the the FL500s, that engine was built after Jan, '09(prior to then, like my old '09 Sable, and mom's '09 Taurus, with build dates in Aug, and Sept '08, used an FL400s)

OP: keep an eye out for a weepy leak from the water pump...at that age/mileage it could fail at any time. if it starts to weep, get it changed ASAP. the Pump on these engines is in the Valley between the heads, and when it fails, it dumps all the coolant into the oil pan. yes, just getting the pump changed could cost up to 2 grand... but a new engine is about 5.

You are correct on the engine date. Will keep an eye on the water pump. So far so good. The PTU is a weak link too but my mec charges $55 to flush and refill with M1 fluid.

Last edited:
Only 0w-20 if the winter is extremely cold (like -35° F or worse), that way cold start oil flow is better. 5w-20 will do for most conditions.

Originally Posted by Smith5361
Consider some Amsoil OE or XL line oil

That I most certainly won't do. Why? I have a selection of synthetic oil for reasonable price at the Walmart up the road.
Going to stick with 5w-20 and the SuperTech filter.

Was getting ready to do the oil change and called an audible. Returned the SuperTech 0W-20 FS HM for QSUD 5w-20. Kept the ST filter and topped off with ST FS HM 5w-20. Car likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back