Recommend Air Compressor for Air Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings All-
what size air compressor is recommended for various DIY use like a 1/2" impact wrench (HF earthquake series), air ratchets, etc? These tools are getting to be very cheap and powerful but what size air compressor is required to make full use? Are the HF compressors also any good?

I have a 15 gallon compressor, and a 60 gallon compressor. The smaller unit will handle the tools you mentioned, but the 60 gallon is way, way better. You'll find once the air tool bug bites you, you're going to want to expand your tool collection. That's where the bigger compressors really shine. Waiting for the compressor to cycle because I ran out of air with certain tools is a PITA. My rust proofing gun comes to mind when used with the smaller compressor. Lowes and HD sell good 60 gallon compressors in the $500 range. I can't comment about the HF offerings. If you have the room, I'd go 60 gallon.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have a 15 gallon compressor, and a 60 gallon compressor. The smaller unit will handle the tools you mentioned, but the 60 gallon is way, way better. You'll find once the air tool bug bites you, you're going to want to expand your tool collection. That's where the bigger compressors really shine. Waiting for the compressor to cycle because I ran out of air with certain tools is a PITA. My rust proofing gun comes to mind when used with the smaller compressor. Lowes and HD sell good 60 gallon compressors in the $500 range. I can't comment about the HF offerings. If you have the room, I'd go 60 gallon.

+1. I have a 27 gallon noisy as heck (oil less) compressor. Got it used for $80. I'd love a 60 Gallon, however prices, garage space and wiring needed for 240v are partial issues. I don't do a ton of work with the Air tools, but If I was really serious then 60 gallon is the way to go without a doubt.

With a smaller air compressor you will be waiting at times for the compressor to refill the tank to continue work. This is an issue with bigger bolts like Strut bolts, Crankshaft bolts etc. That's when you wish you went larger. HF earthquake guns are good. I have the older 1/2 model and it puts out a good amount of torque.

Last edited:
30 gal vert is a good size for a home compressor than can easily be moved around. My dad has one on wheels that can be moved around easily and even loaded into a truck by a single person if they are strong. You don't need a lot of capacity for impacts, unless you are using the air ratchet to run down a number of bolts.

I've used that 30 gal for some light sandblasting two years ago and had to wait, but it wasn't in the best of shape and had leaky hoses.

I have a bead blasting cabinet and a 60 gallon tank. After 5 minutes the pressure drops to 60 psi and have to stop and wait a few minutes for the tank to fill up. I'd get a 80 gallon tank next time but getting this 60 down a flight of stairs into the basement was a miracle itself.

Thanks to All-
Good comments and certainly answered my question. Helped me avoid buying the much smaller compressor I thought would be adequate.

I'm a DIY'er. Nothing like using any air tool without having to wait for the air to recharge all the time. DA sander, inline sander, blaster all use more air than most compressors can keep up with if used for more than a minute at a time. I've had smaller compressors in the past unwilling to spend the serious cash. They ended up being a waste of money and now inhabit friends and relatives garages to blow up footballs and bike tires, no serious work.

Most of my work is with spray guns and body working tools that demand a lot of air so a 30+ CFM unit is a must but if you don't paint (you can run a spray gun on 60 gal but not enough for a big CFM gun on a whole car paint job) 12-15 CFM 60 gal should be more than enough for home single user use, it will run everything you mention and more.

To get the most out of any compressor hose I.D. and high flow fittings with a good water filter (with and oiler is also nice) are a must. Milton V are good fittings.

My 20 gallon one will run an impact and air ratchet. Auto body tools like sanders and my cut off wheel will drain it quick. Always buy more compressor than you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by sloinker
You can never have enough air compressor. Buy quality for a lifetime of service and product support if needed. Like mine at home.
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.co...X118nn4gIVD7vsCh17GwcwEAYYBSABEgKFvD_BwE

Whoa Sloinker! That's some serious compressor you got there. Way more than I will need as a DIYer LOL

I'm a DIYer same size I run and what I recommend for many people but I never complain that I am running out of air no matter what I want to do. Sandblasting and painting can be a game changer.

Thanks again All-
Upon reading the comments, I think I will go with heavy duty 1/2" battery powered impact wrenches, ratchets etc. I do no painting, grinding, or body repair; so my needs are not up to your level. Just timing belt pulley bolts, lug nutz, etc.

Your informative comments saved me $$$$ buying air tools and finding out the compressor was not up to the task.

Go with a 1/4 and small body 1/2 battery impacts, they will be more useful than a big heavy cordless 1/2", the bigger they get the less useful they become.
There was a thread about Home Depot having a 1/4" 18v brushless impact with battery and charger for $99 which is a deal, I might buy another one just for the battery.

The small 1/2" Makita will do 99% of everything you will do on passenger cars (not trucks), I have a lot of impact guns air and cordless and the small 1/2" is the most used in the who set. The 1/4 and 1/2 are almost identical in size and use the same battery, truly a joy to use.

Originally Posted by Trav
Go with a 1/4 and small body 1/2 battery impacts, they will be more useful than a big heavy cordless 1/2", the bigger they get the less useful they become.
There was a thread about Home Depot having a 1/4" 18v brushless impact with battery and charger for $99 which is a deal, I might buy another one just for the battery.

The small 1/2" Makita will do 99% of everything you will do on passenger cars (not trucks), I have a lot of impact guns air and cordless and the small 1/2" is the most used in the who set. The 1/4 and 1/2 are almost identical in size and use the same battery, truly a joy to use.

I agree. Battery operated tools are the wave of the future. I just recently bought a string trimmer that absolutely out works the corded and gas trimmers I used in the past. I fully plan to replace my Honda lawnmower with a battery powered mower when and if it finally dies. The downside of battery impacts is there isn't a fastener that can't be stripped by your local dealer service department. Torque wrench for the pan gasket? I have a battery impact!

I would get at least a 60 gallon.

You can get a decent 60 gallon compressor for a little over 400 dollars.

if you can spend the money get a 2-stage 80 gallon.

I have 2 80 gallon compressors, one at my house and the other at my parents detach garage and they are easily one of the best things I've bought seeing that i have a lot of air tools and I have a tire machine etc.

but i think a 60 gallon would do you just fine and they are definitely smaller then an 80 and would be easier to find a spot for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by willbur
Thanks again All-
Upon reading the comments, I think I will go with heavy duty 1/2" battery powered impact wrenches, ratchets etc. I do no painting, grinding, or body repair; so my needs are not up to your level. Just timing belt pulley bolts, lug nutz, etc.

???

You will be FINE with a 2 HP 8 Gallon $99 compressor from Harbor freight. It is what I use for 95% of everything I do. it will handle your "intermittent" impact wrench with ease. it isn't like this is a full-time job for you!!

If I need more air for occasional spray painting (with the $9.99 Harbor Freight HVLP gun), I just "Y" two of the 2 HP 8 Gallon $99 compressors together.

This is far too easy..... why y'all make things so complicated??

Originally Posted by Trav

Agree, but with a good breaker bar to back it up. I was pulling another caliper on my 82 300cd the other day. Without my stubby Milwaukee impact, I couldn't fit a gun on them. But the stubby was too weak (despite claiming 250 ft-lb) to release one of the caliper bolts. Just one of the four Bolts Ive removed to date. And to my surprise, the bolts came out looking brand new, with the dry loctite in great shape and no corrosion at all (CA car). Perhaps an air stubby impact wouldn't have had this issue,

A heavy duty ratcheting breaker bar is really great a lot of times. Sometimes getting one on if not ratcheting can be an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back