Recommend A Good Wheel Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a 05 Corolla (60K miles) that has had an annoying buzzing/humming noise at certain speeds for over a year. The noise is even louder at high speeds 50-65 mph. It's difficult to isolate the noise while I'm driving. When I was getting my new Yokohama Avid TRZs installed last fall they told me the rear passenger is out of alignment. I saw the report myself.

While I was flushing my brake fluid and checking my brakes shoes last summer the rear passenger in question doesn't rotate smoothly. The rear passenger wheel won't even spin freely like the rear driver's side. But has no play if I try to twist the wheel. At least it's not to the point where it's dangerous to drive on.

Then it occurred to me when I parallel park that wheel sometimes hits the curb. So most likely that has accelerated the wheel bearing damaged. But I'm just going to replace the whole wheel hub assembly.

Has anyone had a good first hand experience with a certain brand wheel hub in a Corolla? I don't mind paying a little extra as long as it's a quality part. I am open to aftermarket parts that's why I'm asking for your recommendations.

I understand the 9th gens rear wheel alignment cannot be adjusted. So when I install the new wheel hub is there anything else I need to do? Anything else I need to watch out for?

Here is another owner with the exact same symptoms but never followed up:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9t...ming-noise.html

Last edited:
I put a Timken in my Buick a few years ago and have had zero problems.
It's important to torque it to the proper spec as overtightening (or undertightening) can cause problems.

For aftermarket hub brands, SKF is probably the best quality. Timken is probably a good bet at an economical price. National/Moog is another decent choice. Those are the only 3 I'd consider. I'd would go with SKF if you want quality.

I agree with the above recommendations. Also, if your local parts store has any of them in stock, I would ask to see them. If one brand is made in China, I would avoid that brand. I've read some spotty reviews of Chinese hubs.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
For aftermarket hub brands, SKF is probably the best quality. Timken is probably a good bet at an economical price. National/Moog is another decent choice. Those are the only 3 I'd consider. I'd would go with SKF if you want quality.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

For my domestic application, Timken is OE, made in USA, and cheaper than SKF. For those reasons, I have been using those.

The SKF is made in Mexico. I've used SKF in the past before the move to Mexico, and they looked great. I've heard that the Mexican SKFs are as good as the old US-made ones. They may very well last longer than the Timkens.

All the Timken stuff I've used for wheel bearings on our cars were actually Koyo parts. Get the orange and black box.

National OTOH are coming in from China.

Last edited:
The local AAP has the National/Moog wheel hub. I can get a great deal if I order it online and pick up in store.

But the Moog they have in store is made in Korea. Being made in Korea and not in US or Mexico, should I pull the trigger? The codes are good until tomorrow so I need to decide soon.

My factory serpentine belt also sequels in the cold mornings. It probably needs to be replaced soon anyways. AAP carries Dayco made in USA for my car. Should I go for it?

Last edited:
A lot of the Moog/National are made in Korea and Timken a lot of times are from china. Of the two I'd probably go with the Moog. Some of the SKF are still made in USA or Mexico. It all depends on the particular model. Maybe you could call around and check with Napa to see as they carry SKF. You would get a better price on Rockauto though.

The Dayco belt should be decent.

With the AAP codes I can get the Moog for $63 plus tax. That price is hard to beat.

I'm going order both of them tonight. Thank you very much for your input. When the weather permits, which won't be till Spring, I'll install the wheel hub and do a followup.

Last edited:
Post pics of the hub when you get it.

Generally, Korean products are higher quality than Chinese products, in my opinion. I'd put much more faith in a Korean hub than Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back