Recommedations for a brake bleeder wrench?

I purchased a 6-point bleeder wrench from O'Reiilly's last weekend to use on a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. It had 3/8" on one end (my need) and 5/16" at the other end. Unfortunately, the offset bend made it impossible to use. I could get it on the bleeder hex in one orientation with no room for turning the valve because of interference with the caliper. Turning the wrench over so that the offst was inward ;caused interference with the wheel well, but the wrench would not even fit over the hex from that side. I am wishing for a 6-pt box end wrench with no more offset than a standard combination wrench. Any recommendations of brand and vendor?
20201102_193751.jpg

I have some double box ends like you mentioned with no offset that are great but all those tool companies are long gone now so can’t really recommend them. I haven’t ever ran into an issue with the offset ones. As for 6 points I had no idea they had 6 points. I usually use line wrenches for brake bleeders if I have that size that way no worries of rounding off.

I have some double box ends like you mentioned with no offset that are great but all those tool companies are long gone now so can’t really recommend them. I haven’t ever ran into an issue with the offset ones. As for 6 points I had no idea they had 6 points. I usually use line wrenches for brake bleeders if I have that size that way no worries of rounding off.
I tried to use a 12-pt, but the bleeder hex points rounded off. I am unfamiliar with the term line wrench. Perhaps a flare wrench would accomplish what you say? They are not in my tool kit yet. But their thickness is too great, I believe, for a bleeder valve. I have trouble keeping the bleeder tube attached, so a thick wrench would be problematic.
I purchased a 6-point bleeder wrench from O'Reiilly's last weekend to use on a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. It had 3/8" on one end (my need) and 5/16" at the other end. Unfortunately, the offset bend made it impossible to use. I could get it on the bleeder hex in one orientation with no room for turning the valve because of interference with the caliper. Turning the wrench over so that the offst was inward ;caused interference with the wheel well, but the wrench would not even fit over the hex from that side. I am wishing for a 6-pt box end wrench with no more offset than a standard combination wrench. Any recommendations of brand and vendor?View attachment 33120
Buy

A line wrench is merely another name for a flare-nut wrench. They're 6 point box end with a cut out to go over the tube.

Again, any light duty wrench will work to manipulate the bleeder with the drain tube attached. You only need the big guns for the initial break loose.

I use a flare wrench for bleeding, Harbor Freight sells a nice set for around $10. They are thicker than a standard combination wrench, but I can still get a regular vacuum hose or clear tube on there securely-- the hose isn't larger than the hex on the bleeder, so it still works.

If nothing else you can crack it open with a 6 point socket and use a regular open end wrench to open and close for the bleeding process (as suggested above.)

Break it loose with a 6 point socket. You can use an ordinary 12 point end wrench to open and close during the bleeding process.
Thanks.
I tried to use a 12-pt, but the bleeder hex points rounded off. I am unfamiliar with the term line wrench. Perhaps a flare wrench would accomplish what you say? They are not in my tool kit yet. But their thickness is too great, I believe, for a bleeder valve. I have trouble keeping the bleeder tube attached, so a thick wrench would be problematic.
Buy
A line wrench is merely another name for a flare-nut wrench. They're 6 point box end with a cut out to go over the tube.

Again, any light duty wrench will work to manipulate the bleeder with the drain tube attached. You only need the big guns for the initial break loose.
Thanks.

Any regular or ratcheting wrench should work.

I ran into this today bleeding brakes on our odyssey. The caliper and bleeder are designed such that it’s impossible to get a line wrench on it. I went to my collection of regular 10mm wrenches and the first one worked.

I’d open it with a 6 pt socket if you have rounded it already. Then you should be able to open/shut it for bleeding by fingers.

Buy
Yes line wrench is another name for flare wrench. They are handy when you need them. You could break it loose with a socket like other members have suggested. If you rounded it off get some vise grips and do it then replace the screw.

Thanks.
Thanks.
It's time to proceed with caution to avoid snapping the bleeder off flush with the caliper you might have a rusted in place bleeder. It might be best to remove the caliper, put it in a vise and heat the bleeder up really hot then try a 6 point socket, just don't go all gorilla on it. If you break the bleeder they are about impossible to get out and you will have to use it the way it is or get a new caliper. Been there done both. Heat lots of heat works.

It's a Mopar caliper on a popular Chrysler product, some of the cheapest and most available parts in the US, OEM or rebuilt by everybody. Most of your local auto parts store will have it in stock, the rest can get it same day. Try it, break it off if you must, it's not a big deal. Put it on the bench and reverse drill it out, or just get another. It's not a big deal.

"I am wishing for a 6-pt box end wrench with no more offset than a standard combination wrench. Any recommendations of brand and vendor?"

I have a set of long SK combinations wrenches for stuff just like this, but it's overkill. Really any Taiwan made 6 point combination wrench will do.

Back