Rechargeable LED mechanic work light recommendations?

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I have a couple of cheap folding LED stick lights with the magnetic base, okay for what the are but a better one would be nice in the garage. Any good experiences with one up to maybe $50? thanks

I have this

It frequently goes on sale and uses 18650s which I have a bunch of for headlamps and flash lights.
I have two of those and the battery life of the stock 18650 cell is abysmal. Aftermarket 18650 batteries are much better, but cost half the price of that slim bar light (when on sale for $20). I upgraded to the ICON slim bar light from HF that is currently on sale for $25. It is a much, much, much better unit [e.g., 800 lumens vs. 500 lumens, ~7 hrs. (actual) runtime vs. ~2 hrs. (actual) runtime, stronger magnet base].

ICON 800 lumen LED Slim Bar Light

Last edited:
I have two of those and the battery life of the stock 18650 cell is abysmal. Aftermarket 18650 batteries are much better, but cost half the price of that slim bar light (when on sale for $20). I upgraded to the ICON slim bar light from HF that is currently on sale for $25. It is a much, much, much better unit [e.g., 800 lumens vs. 500 lumens, ~7 hrs. (actual) runtime vs. ~2 hrs. (actual) runtime, stronger magnet base].

I haven't seen it in person but it didn't look like it had a removable battery? I have a bunch of high capacity 18650s already

^^^ The handle is secured to the led lamp bar with two very small hex Allen set screws. Unfortunately, I don't have a small enough hex wrench to disassemble it to investigate. I do like that it uses a USB-C charging cable instead of the mini-USB plug of the 500 lumen HF light.

Check to see if whatever cordless tools you already have have lights that use them. Makita 18v has a bunch of different options.

Sounds awesome. Is the battery replaceable?

I bought a two pack of folding, magnetic cheapos off amazon a couple years ago. Not enough lumens to be really useful for automotive work and the magnets aren't strong enough on them.

I can't tell but I think so (see previous Post #8). Another benefit is that the ICON light uses a USB-C cable instead of a USB-mini plug cable like the other HF slim bar light.
Thanks again. its very handy to slip in a fully charged battery and not wait for the light to recharge when it dies as you use it.

A review on the HF site for the Icon light above says it's an 18650, but that it's soldered in, so not easily replaced.

I bought one several months ago and returned it. I could not find a way to remove the battery and the main light is on the wrong side of the 90 degree flip. The old Braun was functionally better. I have so many used laptop batteries that I can swap very quickly.

Have a few different magnetic ones that are usbc rechargeable, they are great and cheap on amazon. Have used this one a bit, works good under a hood, or suspension work.

Work Light, 2500LM Bright LED Work Lights, 5200mAh Rechargeable Magnetic Underhood Work Light with Hooks, Cordless Battery Powered Mechanic Light for Car Repairing/Inspection/Garage/Workshop/Emergency https://a.co/d/4SVzB6g

Semi unrelated, I recently picked a Ryobi portable flood light. It came in handy tonight unloading. Already paid for itself in usefulness.

IMG_6403.jpeg

I have a couple of cheap folding LED stick lights with the magnetic base, okay for what the are but a better one would be nice in the garage. Any good experiences with one up to maybe $50? thanks
I went to hom depot to their commercial section. I picked up a couple different work lights for small areas. One has magnets swivels and has a clip to hold it the other is a red stick light can't remember the brand.

I bought one several months ago and returned it. I could not find a way to remove the battery and the main light is on the wrong side of the 90 degree flip. The old Braun was functionally better. I have so many used laptop batteries that I can swap very quickly.

For
Dr. Prepare LED Work Light

It is only ~$16 with the 10% off coupon on Amazon. I like it because it has a large 700 lumens LED that is fully dimmable via a rotating knob and a separate dedicated button for the spot flashlight. It flips 360° around the handle and has a ball-joint magnetic base, but has three minor drawbacks: the battery is not easily exchanged without removing screws, the charging port is USB-mini, and the magnet is not exceptionally strong.

Back