Recent experience with a Michelin Defender

FordSVTGuy

My Expedition has a 7500 mile countdown for oil changes. I don't need it since I do extended oil changes with my dual bypass filter.

So it makes sense for me to do 7500 mile tire rotations

I use them. Will continue to use them. Fantastic tires. FInd a good dealer.

First check in on these tires. Just completed a 1,500 mile round trip to SC for vacation. I was very impressed with the smoothness of the ride and noise level (or lack of) the entire trip. I averaged 24 mpg, per trip computer, in a moderately loaded 2017 Explorer with the 3.5l NA engine. Overall very impressed so far. I’ll check back in in 10,000 miles...

After 15,000 miles mine are still at 10/32” tread depth all around. They are on track to give75,000 miles of service.

Looking forward to tomorrow when I get a Defender M/S set for my Grand Cherokee. After 6 years and 60KM I am dumping my General Grabbers that I ended up buying when I got a flat out of state on a holiday weekend and was my only available option. They still have tread and were surprisingly good but in the last few months have developed a significant steering wheel vibration between 70-80 mph. There is a very high likelihood it is the tire. If not, next stop will be the dealership.

I originally was considering the Premiere, but over 50% of reviews go on and on about only 20k-30k mike tread life. Meanwhile the vast majority of reviews on this Defender are exceptional in a well-rounded way. I’m looking for my 7+ year old GK to feel young again.

I drove a set of Defender LTX to 75000 miles before changing them out. When I changed them they were right on the wear bars and too dangerous to drive in the rain. Overall a great tire except I judged the tire to be a little stiff for my tastes. Just my personal opinion. In general...softer riding tire = less life. Harder riding tire= more life

As for rotation you want the most tread on the rear of the vehicle.

They are amazing tires my dad has had a set of them on his van since 2007 and they still have lots of life left we don’t drive it that much so that’s why they have lasted. He also has them on his Jeep Cherokee and they have held up nicely as well normally I’m not a fan of Michelin tires but I have started liking them a lot because of the performance of those two sets of tires.

Back