Rebuilt titles

I was told by an insurance adjuster (for Progressive) that they will "total" a car if the cost of repairs is 60% or greater than the estimated value of the car.

With the higher costs for parts and labor, lots of very fixable cars are being totaled by insurance companies. Especially if they can low-ball the value of the car.

Not really a safe car for a new driver, no matter what kind of title it has.
Meh, safety is overrated and usually exaggerated, if it’s in good shape that wouldn’t worry me.

A car like that should be extremely cheap, my 2010 Cobalt which had low miles and a stick was getting $500 offers despite a clean title before the pandemic (glad I kept it as a spare car)

An Aveo should not be any different even with the pandemic inflation.

I was told by an insurance adjuster (for Progressive) that they will "total" a car if the cost of repairs is 60% or greater than the estimated value of the car.

With the higher costs for parts and labor, lots of very fixable cars are being totaled by insurance companies. Especially if they can low-ball the value of the car.

Used car values climbed as well, so that'll offset the increase in repair costs. Auto insurance companies generally don't lowball total loss payouts.

I have a rebuilt title Mazda 5. The dealer I bought it from showed me the damage pictures and the body panels that were replaced. It had 31K on it when I got it. It now has 139K and has been great. We have had it for 8 years now. The guy that wrecked it was running from the cops and The panels were replaced because they had bullet holes. All panels matched the original paint.

I have a rebuilt title Mazda 5. The dealer I bought it from showed me the damage pictures and the body panels that were replaced. It had 31K on it when I got it. It now has 139K and has been great. We have had it for 8 years now. The guy that wrecked it was running from the cops and The panels were replaced because they had bullet holes. All panels matched the original paint.
Well, that's quite a story! If you can find the news article about that and put that with the car, you have a one of a kind !

Meh, safety is overrated and usually exaggerated, if it’s in good shape that wouldn’t worry me.

A car like that should be extremely cheap, my 2010 Cobalt which had low miles and a stick was getting $500 offers despite a clean title before the pandemic (glad I kept it as a spare car)

An Aveo should not be any different even with the pandemic inflation.
It's well documented and basic physics that small cars aren't as safe as larger ones.

It's well documented and basic physics that small cars aren't as safe as larger ones.

Unless you need to do panic maneuvers , then roll over in one then you are usually dead.

By European standards our larger vehicles (trucks/SUVs) are far less safe than most cars.

By your logic The safest vehicle on the road is a semi even though most don’t even have any safety equipment .

Europe actually cares more about everyone’s safety not just the driver and many of our vehicles fail Europe safety tests

Unless you need to do panic maneuvers , then roll over in one then you are usually dead.

By European standards our larger vehicles (trucks/SUVs) are far less safe than most cars.

By your logic The safest vehicle on the road is a semi even though most don’t even have any safety equipment .

Europe actually cares more about everyone’s safety not just the driver and many of our vehicles fail Europe safety tests
Did you actually read the article? While rollover risks are higher with trucks/SUVs, overall death rates are lower than cars. Again, basic physics, in a collision in a smaller car vs a larger vehicle, well the larger vehicle does better every time. Basic physics. And yes, look at the stats for semi trucks, lot fewer semi trucker driver deaths per mile than cars or trucks. And there are lots of European SUVs on the road in the US, I don't think there's actually any European pickup trucks on the market in the US as the tariffs mean they can't compete but there's a few Japanese ones and those are actually made in the US. And I drive a European car so yeah, the safety systems on a Mercedes you don't even see on American cars.

Meh, safety is overrated and usually exaggerated,
What does this REALLY MEAN by the poster?

Does he know there are crash standards and testing?

Bigger doesn’t have to mean taller. i’m guessing my Camry would fair better than a Yaris, and neither is likely to roll over.

Bigger doesn’t have to mean taller. i’m guessing my Camry would fair better than a Yaris, and neither is likely to roll over.
Well basic physics is the bigger vehicle wins. Also with stability control, some of those stats probably don't apply anymore to newer vehicles that have it.

I've had a couple rebuilt title cars and they were fine. A six year old HHR and an eight year old Cutlass Ciera.

The biggest problem is a dealer will save a turkey that won't sell for the "special credit" section then by the time the buyer pays the car off and actually gets to see the title... they've paid the whole nut for an inferior vehicle. If you try to get them down to the "appropriate" 30% off they'll ignore you and wait for a bigger sucker to come along.

Also chiming in on the "don't get an aveo" argument, get a Fusion or Camry or something.

Back