reasons i will only use Delo 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I believe both Delo and Rotella are good oils for the money. I recently ran Delo 15W-40 CI4+ oil in a 90 V6 Ford Ranger about 6 months/10k miles and it seemed to do well and consumption was lower compared to Amsoil 10W-40 that was in it previously. I actually did not mean to run it that long but made several trips to OH and FL, so a lot of highway miles on that run. The Amsoil did ok, but certainly cost more. I will try the new CJ Rotella next after picking up several gallons for $7 each. Right now got Schaeffers 15W-40 blend in it and the consumption has dropped to an all time low of 1 quart in 5k miles!

how long did you use the Amsoil for?
depending on the condition of your engine i/e miles, oci, oil make used, you could have a seriously dirty engine and using Amsoil will clean it out, but will take time and a few quarts of oil. that may explain the decreased consumption with delo 400.
In a clean engine Amsoil will have the least amout of conpsumption of most available oil's on the shelf.
personally I had 29,000 miles on one drain with no consumption in a 2006 toyota van, 16,000 miles no consumption in a chevy tahoe 95.
on the other hand I have other vehicles that use lots of oil for a period of time, I stuck it out with Amsoil and the consumption did cease. One oil change with Amsoil wont cure 5/10 years of abuse using dino oil in your engine
Schaeffers is also an excellent choice also.
coffeetime.gif

I doubt there was excessive cleaning going on with the Amsoil 10W-40 in there, since I had just finished about 15k miles worth of (3)ARX cycles using Castrol Tection Extra 15W-40. I have read now where there probably is still some residual cleaning going on even after the ARX cycles are completed. Previous owner was bad to do 10k oil changes more often than not. He was not using any synthetics either. BTW, I ran the Amsoil for 10k miles/about one year, and the original engine now has 211k miles on it. The ARX treatments really woke that engine up after all the long oci's on regular oil. I had the original owner (a good friend) drive it right after I had finished the last rinse phase and installed the Amsoil. He was amazed at how much more oomph it had and commented that it felt just like it did when new. Cool, huh?
Sadly, we lost him in a motorcycle wreck on the Blue Ridge Parkway last Sept.

Reasons I use Delo are because I just got my latest UOA back and after 5000 HARD miles, I only had 13 ppm iron...

Quote:

Reasons I use Delo are because I just got my latest UOA back and after 5000 HARD miles, I only had 13 ppm iron...

D-Roc .. Agree .. I've also noticed the best UOA's on the GM 6.6 Duramax are with Delo-400. Was your UOA with the latest CJ-4 version? I'm running currently the CI-4 DELO 400 15w40 in my Duramax for the summer but plan to switch back to M1 TDT for the winter.. Seeing you are from Alberta do also run the Delo 15w40 in the winter?

smile.gif

Quote:

Quote:

D-Roc .. Agree .. I've also noticed the best UOA's on the GM 6.6 Duramax are with Delo-400. Was your UOA with the latest CJ-4 version? I'm running currently the CI-4 DELO 400 15w40 in my Duramax for the summer but plan to switch back to M1 TDT for the winter.. Seeing you are from Alberta do also run the Delo 15w40 in the winter?

smile.gif

It was with the CI4+. I don't plan on using CJ4 for quite some time- my hope is to go on to the next category without ever using CJ4 I have enough CI4+ to last me for about five years. I usually run Delo 5W40 or Esso XD3 0W40 in the winter. I'll run 15W40 until November and then run synthetic until February.

In addition to that, only thing I found is that I have to change XD3 more often- 5000 miles instead of the oem 7500. Delo is one of the few oils that holds up to the conditions in which I drive, but I really like XD3- I just change it more.
I also have a bit of Schaeffer's 9000 in my stock pile and also some Royal Triton Semi Synthetic 15W40 which looks really good, as well.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks D-Roc .. I also stocked up on the CI-4+ DELO 400 (30 Gal) which along with 60 qts of the original M1 T&SUV (CI-4 5w40) will keep me going for a few years ...

I like rotella more than others but have found that my truck uses more oil than when I run delvac. Ive never tried delo but everyone who uses it loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back