Rear differential- gasket or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the rear diff gear oil in my F250. Planning to use only ultra black gasket maker for the seal. Anyone think I'm wrong, and should also use a pre-formed gasket?

Too many thin paper gaskets. I would only use a gooey rubbery thick one, or RTV.

I'm not a fan of RTV, a lot of prep work, but it seals good.

Don't dribble too much RTV into blind holes, if you have any, as it'll hydrolock. The diffs I've done have open holes.

I remember this dilemma on my old F150 with the Ford 8" diff.

I think I ended up using paper gasket + RTV.

Didn't leak afterwards.

Use a gasket with permatex high tack, RTV is for ease of machine assembly only at the factory but in general it doesn't compare to a real gasket.

I just did my E350 last summer. It had RTV on there from the factory and that's what the Haynes manual said to use. I also used the Black Ultra Gasket Maker. It took a long time as I remember because it had to set up for 8 hours before final tightening. If I knew where to get a good gasket I would probably use that next time with a little Permatex #2. Just to save time. The RTV worked perfectly and no leaks.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I vote Felpro diff gasket. Never had one leak and it's $5 and easier to use than rtv
I have been using gaskets on my Wifes 2002 F250 since the first diff oil change at 1,000 miles No leaks and greasing the gasket makes it east to change the oil. Permatex The Right Stuff is much easier to use than RTV.

permatex makes a special rtv product for rear diffs. good stuff. Most pros use RTV, and that is what is done in the factory. I see though some gaskets do work well.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
permatex makes a special rtv product for rear diffs. good stuff. Most pros use RTV, and that is what is done in the factory. I see though some gaskets do work well.

Most pro's rather use a gasket if one is available. When the factory seals the rear cover on with RTV the housing is facing upwards for the machine to apply it not vertical like in the vehicle being serviced, it is also empty so there is no chance of oil contamination that could ruin the sealing job.
Unlike DIY the pro doesn't have time to let the RTV cure before refilling and go through the retorquing business. Install a gasket, torque the cover, refill and get it out.
Many times what the factory uses is for time savings and automation and it works well but its not necessarily the best solution for service after the fact.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Use a gasket with permatex high tack, RTV is for ease of machine assembly only at the factory but in general it doesn't compare to a real gasket.

If one were to do this, would the high tack go on the cover side or the housing side of the gasket, or both?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

If I can get one, I will use a gasket with permatex 2 on the cover side to hold in place everytime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claluja
Originally Posted By: Trav

If one were to do this, would the high tack go on the cover side or the housing side of the gasket, or both?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I put some on the cover and place the gasket on it then coat the other side of the gasket, then on it goes. You only need a very thin coat.

To late to edit.

Edit: The sealer is really optional, its more to keep the gasket in place for assembly and to insure against gasket porosity and minor scratches that long term could possibly cause a weep which would be very rare but no one likes to do a job twice or have a come back if your a pro.

Thanks guys. Ordered a Lube Locker gasket. Will decide whether to use additional sealant base on surface conditions when she's opened up and cleaned. Thanks again for all the advice.

I didn't look at those gaskets I usually just use run of the mill stuff but those Lube Locker look nice and need no additional sealers.

I previously used Permatex Right Stuff on my Jeep Wrangler diffs, always had a wet spot where it was weeping, now have Lube Locker on my D44 diffs. Seals perfectly. No scraping to remove, don't have to worry about getting in the bolt holes as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back