rear differential cover bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorman has a lot of disappointments but they make or rebox some decent stuff. Nothing at all wrong with their pans and covers, the bar you got looks decent too.
I just got some Proforge parts that cost more than Moog, they are much better. The Moog are made in India and the Proforge Taiwan, night and day difference in fit and finish, the appear much beefier too. IMO you did good with the parts.

Dang. Your photos explain why the Tacoma from N. Carolina my brother was looking at was so rusty.

Too bad that nice cover didn't fit. The sway bar being in the way didn't even cross my mind.

Lots and lots of Toyota and Ford Rangers broke in half or the frame in multiple places in the rust belt. To their credit Toyota stood behind it and replaced the frames, Ford on the other hand told buyers to go scratch their arse with a broken bottle.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Dang. Your photos explain why the Tacoma from N. Carolina my brother was looking at was so rusty.

Too bad that nice cover didn't fit. The sway bar being in the way didn't even cross my mind.

I should have looked more under the truck before ordering it. The sway bar and the track bar were both not allowing clearance.

I'm going to watch the local pic a part lot for a 2000-2003 yukon xl, suburban , escalade or another avalanche for the fuel neck. I might find a rust free used one for less.

Last edited:
Same trouble with Rats filler neck. Guys mention they were getting Ranger necks on E bay. I repaired it with JB Weld.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Originally Posted By: spasm3
The plug is high up on the front of the axle, its a square type, there is not enough left to get a grip and its rusted solid. Its not coming out.

They way it looks i'm not even considering trying to get the fill bolt out. Its the diff cover bolts i'm worried about. There is no drain plug so the only way to dump the gear oil is to remove the cover. I'm worried about bolts shearing off in the body of the diff. I recently had transmission pan bolts shear off.

Diff bolts should be encircled with RTV, and the chances of breaking off are slim. I know on a Ford 8.8 it is a pretty heavy duty bolt, because it provides some support to the case.

If they do break off they should be easy to take out, you will have plenty of access to heat and drill out.

A welding place can put a nut on the plug easily, that can be an option too. Once it is welded it will break any rust bonds. Maybe $25-30 to do something like this. I have a guy that I hand a $20 for this work. Takes him 3 minutes.

An easy out may be an option too. If it is 3/8" square drive you can probably get a big one in there, less chance of breaking off.

If you have to leave the plug in place, make sure you can find a rear end cover with the fill plug that can fill to proper level. They are quite pricey too.

Wow.Dude....great advice all around!

Went to the LKQ lot, got a spare, an most of all a fuel filler neck off an 01 Yukon XL. The fuel neck new is $238 or more. I got the spare and the fuel filler neck for $75.

Wire brush and a bit of paint and its better than what i have now, i will install later in a few weeks.

full-36616-24775-dsc05653.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back