Rear brake line specs for 2003 Ford E150

I blew out the right rear brake line as I was driving the truck back onto my ramps to change the diff fluid, so quite convenient. Anyone know off hand the specs? Diameter. Bubble or inverted flare. Fitting sizes.

I've never done them on an E150, but on similar vintage Fords, it was 3/16" line, inverted double flare, 3/8" -24 nuts, except I forget nut size at the ABS module... larger, but I'd reuse them if corrosion hasn't destroyed them.... usually in better shape due to staying out of road grime.

Does it have independent L/R rear brakes or a single run from the front? If a single run, it might have a junction on the left rear soft hose, and you can get a premade length of line with flares and fittings already on it to replace the right rear going across the axle.

If it's a little longer than stock, do a little creative routing to take up the slack. Autozone among other places, sells the pre-made lines with double flare and 3/8" nuts in various lengths. To clarify it's just a straight piece of line, can be bent by hand to be "close enough" to same routing, or use a bender if looks are important.

Last edited:
normally on trucks it’s double flare but some fords are double and bubble on the same line + a conversion union.

Last edited:
It's 3/16" line with inverted flare ends and 3/8-24 threaded 7/16" wrench fittings. Measured with some string and it's about 50 inches, so I ordered a 51" and 60" line in case the 51 doesn't reach all the way after bending.

brake line.jpg

FWIW, I saw one on RockAuto today for the right rear of a regular body for about $65.

But yours looks great.,

Back