Really? What are your thoughts?

Had an F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost on a farm I managed. It was a POS at low mileage that ended up with rod knock on two cylinders and we had to threaten with a lawsuit and force Ford to buy the truck back. It's fine to have a junk product if you stand behind it. Ford doesn't. What's better is that it got HORRENDOUS fuel economy. Worst I've ever seen in a light duty pickup.

I think a lot of people are. If I had to buy a Ford tomorrow that would be the engine I'd be buying. I hope a pushrod V8 is hard to screw up but those silly engineers, bean counters, and CAFE regs always find a way.

I couldn't possibly agree more with you on the 3.5 EcoBoost.
I have no experience with the newer 2.7 EcoBoost, hopefully it's a lot better than the 3.5 is.
The naturally aspirated 3.3, and 5.0 engines have been awesome!

I like the "Wizard". The Ford dealer probably doesn't have any other oil on hand other than 0W-20, so getting the parts guys to order Lucas is the simplest solution to boosting viscosity.

I wonder what the oil change interval is for that mix. It will surely shear down over time.

0w20 with lucas snot, great fix. I would have just put 5w40 in it.

Exactly. Diluting the 0w-20 additive package (which is already pretty weak when compared to the Euro lubes) with Lucas. Adding buckets of cheap Group I, plastic and bar oil tackifier to the mix is not a "fix". You are just increasing viscosity, which will of course drive up oil pressure, but you are doing by weakening and cheapening the oil; making a far crappier product.

A properly blended 5w-40 or 0w-40 would provide a more robust additive package, proper base oil blend, but of course doesn't look as cool on the counter gears :poop:

If the 5.0 Track Pack specs 5W50, maybe run 5W50 in the F-150 5.0? I'd imagine a truck's engine gets pushed pretty hard in alot of cases where the thicker oil would keep those engines happy and healthy. Just food for thought.

If the 5.0 Track Pack specs 5W50, maybe run 5W50 in the F-150 5.0? I'd imagine a truck's engine gets pushed pretty hard in alot of cases where the thicker oil would keep those engines happy and healthy. Just food for thought.
That was what I was thinking watching the video. I want to like his videos but there is something about him that I can't stand.

I had a 2011/same gen. They didn't put the 5.4 in those, they did however in the gen before - the 5.4 was problematic. This would have had the 5.0, the 3.7 V6, or the 3.5 Ecoboost. So he put some Lucas in with whatever oil they are using (that would have been a 5W20 most likely), a good filter and it worked..hahaha...good! Cheap easy fix. Why the haters here?

Bearings worn enough at 180K to lower oil pressure? Humm ... why, because of using 5W-20 its whole life?

If you really want to take a retard tech that actually uses Group I bright stock crap with no additives in it? Okay, We'll remember this with your MOFT pseudoscience...

I still have a Mercury Sable Duratech that has 235,000+ miles on it with the vast majority of it's sump's fill being a blend 5W-20. It runs great (well not actually, it has a vacuum leak) and uses maybe a qt. every 5K at this point...

Don't hate on 5W-20, after all it's base oil might be thicker than your VII filled 5W-30 :)
Hating it and not like running on the edge of HTSH and MOFT are two different things. I like more headroom of HTHS and MOFT over a small gain of 0.05-0.10 MPG, if that.

HTHS of xW-20 is typically 2.6 cP, which from what I've seen in wear studies is on the edge of where protection falls off for some engine components ... so I go by scientific study data, not by people who claim their vehicles "still runs good". Pretty hard to find, if any, 5W-20 with a higher or equal HTHS than 5W-30, except maybe in a unique boutique oil where one is a thick 20 and the other a thin 30.

So how do you know the truck in the OP's video was always used in a manner over it's 180K mile life where 5W-20 always provided adequate protection? Why does it have low oil pressure - per the Ford Techs as worn bearings? All it takes is one instance of the oil breaking down far enough to cause excessive engine wear. Maybe the truck wasn't maintained well and abused too much with 5W-20.

Well I really can't say how much it has to do with the oil. but I am getting over 44 mpg in my 16' 5sp Ford Focus 2.0L VCT with 0W-20 M1 AP in the sump.

And your "scientific study data", does that include an actual apples-to-apples tear down of a Ford Taurus using 5W-20 cvs. 5W-30? Real world studies?

Also, while I didn't watch that much of the vid, that guy could be talking about Ford vehicles that call for 5W-30 and their bearings, as I understand the main issues are with the turbo Ecoboosts that have been running 5W-30 for over a decade now...

Also, while I didn't watch that much of the vid, that guy could be talking about Ford vehicles that call for 5W-30 and their bearings, as I understand the main issues are with the turbo Ecoboosts that have been running 5W-30 for over a decade now...
The engine in that truck was the normally aspirated 5.0L V8 (2011, first year of the Coyote).

Screenshot_2021-04-24 Can an engine additive really fix this 2011 F150 CAR WIZARD shows how to...png

Page 381-382 of the 2011 F-150 OM shows recommend oil viscosity - 5W-20 for everything except the V6 Ecoboost which calls out 5W-30:
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11f12og3e.pdf

Yet there seems to be little if any evidence of this in actual media articles. Yet Google "Ecoboost" and you'll find that Ford has class action lawsuits involving those...

Back