REALLY Hot oil upon drain from the GSX 750

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drained the oil after a hard ride and it sizzled like fryer oil when it hit the pan. Not any water in it that I know of. Man, that stuff was H O T! It was Shell 20w-50 that was an ARX rinse. Not in there long, but I drove it a lot with a bad miss. I suppose a miss adds fuel and wear and needs to come out when the miss is fixed.

I ran Rotella 15w-40 before that and have some more I was saving for next summer. I was planning on going with some Havoline DS 10w-40 I already have. The filler cap says 10w-40. I'd like to use it, but do I need a 20w-50?

I wouldn't run Rotella 15W-40 in a bike ever again.

I had a Honda Shadow 750 (of course, not near the power or revs of a GSX-R 750), and I LITERALLY changed the oil out every 1,000-1,200 miles. I admit, I ran it a little hard, but nothing like trying to blow it up.

It started smoking after 4,000 miles. I like oil that can take a beating, and, if I ever get another bike, it will have synthetic in it. I'd definitely recommend the same for your GSX-R.

I ended up with the PepBoys oil change special. 5q of Pennzoil and a Purolator filter for $14. The trick for me is the filter I got is a $7 m/c filter, not a bad deal and there is a $4 rebate if I want it.

I used half 10w-40 and 20w-50. I did not even use the new filter I went out to buy. It's like the 4th OCI on the old one! I'm settling on the gallon I have of Royal Purple 15w-40 for "winter" and will use the new filter then. I figure I won't really want to start the cycle below freezing anyway.

My odometer is broken and I don't ride everyday, so I'm changing at 2 month intervals in summer.

IIRC some of the GSXR's are water cooled ?

Frying and popping is usually a sign of water .

I hope the miss is unrelated ...

Last edited:
GSX"R" 750 was water cooled, A-J has a GSX 750, which is a Katana. similar engines but the "R" engine was about 3 years ahead of it.

A-J keep in mind that you have a transmission and clutch creating much more debris then a regular engine.

How can you come to the conclusion that a particular oil made your bike smoke ? Excess smoke can be a fueling issue..Or if it's burning oil it's likely a bad ring seal or another mechanical issue which can develop no matter what oil you use...

CBR1000's and 600's are known for smoking and there are many reorts of elevetated oil consumption because of the piston skirt design causing scuffing and cylinders to go out of round...

The bike ran nice and smoof lst night. Pennzoil freebates really got me hooked, it's a great product. I actually was looking for Havoline 20-50 to mix with the 10w-40 I already have, but this was a good deal. Do you guys really think I need a synth in this engine? It's NICE and clean at 23k.

if doing 3K intervals or around there imo syn is not needed. I run rotella 15w40 in my zx9, but do have a case of val synpower 20W50 i got bogo so i will run that too, as well as 8 more quarts Brad Penn 20w50.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I wouldn't run Rotella 15W-40 in a bike ever again.

I had a Honda Shadow 750 (of course, not near the power or revs of a GSX-R 750), and I LITERALLY changed the oil out every 1,000-1,200 miles. I admit, I ran it a little hard, but nothing like trying to blow it up.

It started smoking after 4,000 miles. I like oil that can take a beating, and, if I ever get another bike, it will have synthetic in it. I'd definitely recommend the same for your GSX-R.

Did you know that 750 shadows had an oiling problem?? Not related to the quality of the oil ?? seems the top end doesn't get enough oil = worn parts and cooked oil... There is an aftermarket kit for rigging additional oil to the top end .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back