Ravenol VSE 0/20 (VW 508), 9,535 miles, 2019 VW Jetta 1,4t (TBN, PC)

Jetta_38,291.jpg

Wow, that held up incredibly well I'd say. Since its release I have always considered VSE to be Ravenol's top 0w20 offering and among the best of the best 0w20 oils available.

Nice UOA. Since there's no Mo and W/Tungsten (have seen a VOA showing zero W) in it
and just a mild dose of B, this UOA seems to prove both there's not much Mo/B necessary
at all for nice results and 0W-20/VW 508 00 oils do a nice job in these engines. There's not
a single UOA I'm aware of proving otherwise. Lastly, decreasing wear with increasing miles
on the vehicle is normal. In particular the elevated Cu number is what you see on any new
VW and Audi engine. This is the main reason why I use to do two early oil changes before
its very first 1000 and at about 2500 mls on any new vehicle. Since this Jetta has the EA211
with a toothed belt instead of a timing chain it may be of less importance.

The VW 508.00/509.00 are very robust oils. I have some Liqui Moly Top Tech 6200 waiting to go into the Tiguan. FCP Euro has a good price on this oil change kit.

Since there's no Mo and W/Tungsten (have seen a VOA showing zero W) in it and just
a mild dose of B, this UOA seems to prove both there's not much Mo/B necessary at all
for nice results and 0W-20/VW 508 00 oils do a nice job in these engines.

Just asked myself how this is repeatedly possible and if there's any secret behind it. I also
tried to answer the question. As some will know any VW 508 00 contains some Zirconium
that is considered being a marker. It seems Zirconium could be more than just as marker:

Abstract: Vegetable oil has significant potential as a base oil, and substitute for mineral oil in grease
formulation due to its biodegradability, low toxicity and excellent lubrication. This paper studied the
development of vegetable oil-based greases with α-Zr(HPO4)2·H2O (α-ZrP) as an additive, exploring
base oil influence in tribological behavior. The results demonstrated that the addition of α-ZrP in
vegetable-based greases is beneficial to anti-wear property. α-ZrP particles exhibit good performance
in anti-wear, friction-reduction and load-carrying capacity, and its tribological performances are
better than the normally used molybdenum disulfide and graphite additives. Owing to its superior
tribological properties as a vegetable oil-based grease additive, α-ZrP holds great potential for use in
environmentally friendly applications in the future.

One of the possible future engines lubricant can be the nano-sized ceramic particles, which can provide positive tribological properties also in the presence of nonmetallic surface materials. This paper presents the experimental investigation of ZrO2 nanoceramic powder as a lubricant additive.

Wow. Looks good. Some highway driving or long commute?

Its made a couple trips GA<>TN but mostly just running around town and the next town over. Plenty to get warm though, i haven't mentioned it lately but "town" is 16 miles round trip minimum.

The VW 508.00/509.00 are very robust oils. I have some Liqui Moly Top Tech 6200 waiting to go into the Tiguan. FCP Euro has a good price on this oil change kit.

Probably sticking with this. I agree any oil carrying the approval (formal approval) is solid oil.

Nice UOA.

Thanks.

Wow, that held up incredibly well I'd say. Since its release I have always considered VSE to be Ravenol's top 0w20 offering and among the best of the best 0w20 oils available.

I think it is good oil, seems to do fine.

Back