Ravenol T-WS syn vs Toyota WS ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a low mileage 2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited with the legendary 2UZ-FE V8. After driving it back home, I decided to flush the transmission(DIY cooler line exchange) with Toyota WS. Old fluid looked like most used WS samples do... Looking at alternatives, I came across Ravenol T-WS which meets the spec, and is a synthetic with PAO. If I can get this for close to the cost of Toyota OEM WS, would it be worth the switch? Thanks!

Last edited:
Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol when onsale at AZ/Advance works great, is easy to acquire, and cheap.

Maxlife is $17 a gallon at most walmarts and Castrol goes onsale for $5 a quart from time to time.

I'd trust any good make of WS fluid (ravenol is a good one) before any one fits all ATF for LONG TERM problem-free running.

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses. I think Amsoil is a fine product, but the one size fits all in a Toyota Aisin Warner makes me nervous. I've gone down that road before and the shift quality wasn't the same(not with Amsoil, but with a universal type atf).

In understanding base oil,I suppose my real question is, will a partially hydrocracked/PAO formula like Ravenol vs whatever Exxon/Mobil WS is, be a longer lasting, better product in this Aisin Warner A750E.

Last edited:
My instinct is that, yes, the Ravenol product is likely to address the widespread dissatisfaction with factory WS. I would choose it over Toyota WS or multi-spec Maxlife any day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
Appreciate the responses. I think Amsoil is a fine product, but the one size fits all in a Toyota Aisin Warner makes me nervous. I've gone down that road before and the shift quality wasn't the same(not with Amsoil, but with a universal type atf).

In understanding base oil,I suppose my real question is, will a partially hydrocracked/PAO formula like Ravenol vs whatever Exxon/Mobil WS is, be a longer lasting, better product in this Aisin Warner A750E.

I ran the Amsoil ATF in my Highlander recently. No issues whatsoever.

A relative of mine has a 2007 Sienna that he bought with 20k miles and switch to Amsoil ATF right away and he currently has over 300k miles on that van and that thing saw some severe use, still runs fine.

I wouldn't be afraid to use Ravenol but where do you get it? It's crazy expensive on amazon.

The Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF product is certified and licensed by Aisin for use in Toyota transmissions that use type WS fluid. I called Castrol customer service and they told me on the phone it is certified. The relevant spec is JWS-3324. If you are going to go outside of Toyota fluid I would go with the Castrol product.

By the way I have a Gen 1 Tundra with the same incredible 2UZ-FE V8. The greatest V8 engine that Toyota ever built.

The Ravenol can be found on eBay 4L bottle for $48. Not too far off of Amsoils price, but it specifically meets the WS specification. As I only plan to change once a year, the price isn't the deciding factor.

WS as many know, meets the wear characteristics of T-IV, but with a lower viscosity. To me, meeting an ancient specs performance is pretty pathetic. These transmissions do however last a long time even when neglected, so that also begs to be considered.

Hey thanks! I will definitely consider that one as well. And yes Toyota really did an amazing job engineering this series of V8. Just smooth and powerful

The only reservation I have with Castrol and Valvoline(both superb comapanies) is that they are multi vehicle fluids. After much research, I'm not a fan of this type of product and as such, something like Ravenol is in a way more appealing.

Castrol transmax shows a viscosity at 100 Celsius of 8 ...³ and Brookfield viscosity -40 @ 10,500... I don't see how that would jive in their minds with WS, which is from memory around 5+ @100c and 9,000 Brookfield

Last edited:
Did you
Originally Posted by StevieC

Did you get rid of your Highlander? How long have to run the Amsoil ATF in it?

I just used Idemitsu Type H Plus in wifey's 2006 TSX. Great stuff.
Has only had DW-1 since new. I will never by DW-1 again.

I am gonna use the Idemitsu WS fluid in our Lexus GS350 F Sport.
About $8 quart delivered from Advance Auto, or $10 on Amazon, I believe.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Did you
Originally Posted by StevieC

Did you get rid of your Highlander? How long have to run the Amsoil ATF in it?

I did but it wasn't the Amsoil's fault it was a terrible transmission to begin with. I had it in there 6,000km. When I first switched from the WS the shifting was like a dream and then the adaptive logic got used to the new fluid and the terrible shifting returned again just similar to the WS fluid.

I have a 2005 4R, it's a V6, but it has the same transmission as yours. I purchased it new in 2012 and at ~90k miles I did a cooler line exchange with MaxLife. Valvoline hadn't yet put WS on the label, but I decided to use it anyway.

I've had no issues whatsoever and have done a few spill and fills since (now at ~135k miles). I've also used MaxLife in my mother's 06 Highlander and a friend's 05 Camry without issue. I have a 2017 4Runner that will eventually get it, too.

So what has the MaxLife looked like upon drain and fill? WS gets close to black quick. Also, how is the shift feel between the two? In some ways I'm starting to think maybe WS isn't so special after all. Regardless, I don't think it should be brown/black in 20,000 miles like I've seen. Some say a recent reformulation uses a different red dye🤔

Last edited:
According to the Product Data Sheet from Castrol's website, it doesn't even mention WS. It is certified/licensed for Dexron (all versions) and Mercon LV. It states that it is suitable for T-IV (3309). Perhaps there is a newer PDS out there, as the one that I saw was from around 2013, but viewed just a few minutes ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back