Ravenol HVE 10W-50

Going to buy a box of this oil (20 litres) for the first few oil changes in the new car

It's got a nice additive package if that's still current
index.php

I have a turbo GDI now, but not too worried about LSPI as the engine doesn't boost when just driving in traffic and the transmission will increase engine rpm beyond 3000 before full boost is reached.

The engine is specced for 5W-40 but with some obscure fiat spec. Any idea what the Alfa 4C recommendations are in the US? I have the same engine and gearbox.

HVE ( High Viscosity Ester ) is basically intended as a High mileage oil, their "flagship" 10W-50 is the RSE 10W-50, i've read a few posts on oil-club.de about HVE and people seem to like it.

Seems like a nice oil but as is the case with most of Ravenol's oils, rather expensive, at least here in Spain it's almost 50% more expensive than M1 5W-50 for example and almost twice as expensive as Total Quartz Racing 10W-50.

Last edited:
8-9 euro per litre. Not cheap but not that expensive, with todays prices.

I'm betting on the ester content to help clean up the engine if needed. Once I'm through the 20L box I'll go back to the Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W-30 until that stash is finished.

Last edited:
Going to buy a box of this oil (20 litres) for the first few oil changes in the new car

I have a turbo GDI now, but not too worried about LSPI as the engine doesn't boost when just driving in traffic and the transmission will increase engine rpm beyond 3000 before full boost is reached.

The engine is specced for 5W-40 but with some obscure fiat spec. Any idea what the Alfa 4C recommendations are in the US? I have the same engine and gearbox

You can use Ravenol oil-finder to find oils with many obscure fiat specifications - just find the right fiat spec in the "Recomendations" field.

As far as I remember Alfa Romeo cars had issues with fuel dilution and this was the reason that either Selenia 5w-40 oils were recommended, or other brands with a higher viscosity than 5w-40 were used. I assume Selenia oils were able to tolerate oil dilution better than other oils.

As far as I remember Alfa Romeo cars had issues with fuel dilution and this was the reason that either Selenia 5w-40 oils were recommended, or other brands with a higher viscosity than 5w-40 were used. I assume Selenia oils were able to tolerate oil dilution better than other oils.
I wouldn’t assume that but maybe you would.

you need 2 things to offset fuel dilution, a higher starting viscosity (and preferably through higher viscosity base oil) and a higher additive concentration. If the oil level rises by 10%, yoiu additive concentration has dropped nearly 10% aswell

Well, I just checked the oil level again after 5000 km, and 1 side of the dipstick is on full, the other 1/4 liter under full. When I got the car the oil wasn't regisering on the dipstick so added nearly 2 liters of the Total 0W-30 I have been using in my diesel (see signature). At worst, 0.25 liter consumed in 5000 km, which is strange as the car had been serviced 10.000 km before I got it and was definitely low on oil. The tail pipes were sooty to, but GDI so totally expected.

That was te main reason to go with a high ester / high mileage oil, to hopefully unstick the oil control rings and soften any valve stem seals that might need it. I also tried wiping some soot off the tail pipes a week or 2 ago and where I managed it, the soot hasn't come back yet. I ran about 1000 miles in that time.

So for now, I'm sticking with the oil I have, will do a change when weather permits and meanwhile keep monitoring consumption and tailpipe soot collection.

Back