Rare earth magnets

Who else puts these strong magnets on their drain plugs or crank cases next to the drain? My magnets last about 2 OCI's because the heat kills the magnets.

I just put a rare earth magnetic drain plug on my car and I'm looking forward to the next OC so I can see what it pulls out. This magnet is so strong that when I went to install it, it slipped out of my fingers, and when I thought it fell into the drain pan, I found it attached to the oil pan on the vehicle.

I used to attach 3 large hard drive neodymium magnets on the sides of my oil filters, but not anymore. I dropped a hard drive magnet into each of my cars' power steering fluid reservoir years ago. I fished 'em out after a year but never saw any fuzz on any of them. But I dropped 'em back into the psu reservoir.

I just put a rare earth magnetic drain plug on my car and I'm looking forward to the next OC so I can see what it pulls out. This magnet is so strong that when I went to install it, it slipped out of my fingers, and when I thought it fell into the drain pan, I found it attached to the oil pan on the vehicle.

I installed a magnetic drain plug 23k miles ago and it always has a layer of fine particles on it. At this point I'm afraid to ask if that's good or bad :LOL:

Yes, heat degrades them. When I felt the urge to throw a magnet at something, it was one of those ferrite doughnut magnets out of an old speaker, with the center pole piece removed. I stopped doing that years ago, but none ever fell off so they had to have kept at least enough magnetism to hold themselves on because they were pretty heavy.

Yes, heat degrades them. When I felt the urge to throw a magnet at something, it was one of those ferrite doughnut magnets out of an old speaker, with the center pole piece removed. I stopped doing that years ago, but none ever fell off so they had to have kept at least enough magnetism to hold themselves on because they were pretty heavy.
Thats what I was thinking to so I think he might want to look for higher temperature-resistant magnets or maybe try a different location that's cooler

Back