Ransomware Attack Affects Parts & Service Network for 15,000 Auto Dealerships

Threw this together on my lunch break.

IMG_0694.jpg

My wife works at an affected vendor. Fortunately, she backed up their files the day before the attack so they are frozen but have the most up to date last data they had. Hey $5,000,000 divided by 15,000 ain't much per dealer.

Posted by a fellow parts ninja

Newest update we’ve received:

"Dear Valued Customers,

Thank you for continued partnership as we work together to get you back to business.

We have successfully brought a small initial test group of dealers live on the core DMS. Once validation is completed, we will then begin phasing in other dealerships on the core DMS (accounting, parts, service, sales F&I, user management and document management).

You will get an email notification from an official CDK representative and email address in the coming days with details on the phased approach.

There are some integration points with OEM systems and third-party partners that may not be live immediately but will be phased out as quickly as possible

We are also actively working on bringing other applications live including CDK CRM (eLead), CDK Service and our Customer Care channels and will update you as information becomes available.

To help keep your dealership working until the applications are recovered, we’ve created a Dealer Resource Center that houses commonly used documents and forms to support your sales and service efforts.

We are committed to providing you updates as we have them and are working tirelessly to continue to serve you so that you can in turn best deliver for your customers.

Sincerely,
CDK Customer Care"

I talked to South Park Nissan in TX. They seemed to still be down today.

They tried to act like an order which should have shipped June 17 had not gone out due to the hack. My web research says the hack started June 19.

I figure this is the Bragg argument: something that happened later magically caused events to occur before its occurrence.

I talked to South Park Nissan in TX. They seemed to still be down today.

They tried to act like an order which should have shipped June 17 had not gone out due to the hack. My web research says the hack started June 19.

I figure this is the Bragg argument: something that happened later magically caused events to occur before its occurrence.
Yup, it was the 19th for the initial hack. I wonder if they just can't track anything since probably everything would be tied into CDK as far as looking up history on that part number.

But really, it sucks so bad for my fellow parts warriors. Having your hands completely tied is the worst feeling.

The promise of cloud-hosted back-office IT services.

A hollow promise.

No reason why you can't run their software ON YOUR COMPUTERS IN YOUR OWN COMPANY. STORE YOUR OWN DATA ON YOUR OWN COMPUTERS LOCATED ON YOUR PREMISIS.

The cloud fails again. Every sector of the economy does this now, and they've all been hacked because of this model.

Don't host your company data in the cloud. Run the apps on your own hardware at your site. SIMPLE SIMPLE to do . They don't want to do it.

They want access to your data so they can re-package it and re-sell it as a business intelligence service. That's why this model won't die. The US gov't will do nothing from a national security standpoint because they want your data too, and they get it this way.

A hollow promise.

No reason why you can't run their software ON YOUR COMPUTERS IN YOUR OWN COMPANY. STORE YOUR OWN DATA ON YOUR OWN COMPUTERS LOCATED ON YOUR PREMISIS.

The cloud fails again. Every sector of the economy does this now, and they've all been hacked because of this model.

Don't host your company data in the cloud. Run the apps on your own hardware at your site. SIMPLE SIMPLE to do . They don't want to do it.

They want access to your data so they can re-package it and re-sell it as a business intelligence service. That's why this model won't die. The US gov't will do nothing from a national security standpoint because they want your data too, and they get it this way.

"The Cloud" is pretty appealing to C levels. 100% of it can be written off as a business expense; no servers / infrastructure to depreciate yearly. Less datacenter and power requirements, less staf required to maintain the software.

This is exactly what you are opened up to. One concerning thing I heard is they had VPN tunnels to a lot of larger dealer networks? That's scary ... who knows what sort of lateral movement may have happened.

A hollow promise.

Disagree. There are many levels of cloud architecture. On prem has benefits and costs; the manpower alone is filthy expensive and hardware requires maintenance. Reliability ain't cheap.

A SQL Server Azure database is replicated to servers around the world; up-time is unmatched in any on prem system.

Back