Random praise for the Jeep 4.7 V8

My 4.7 runs good at 168,000 with no appreciable oil use. The 545RFE has been good. Daughter was using it when trans cooler line came out of radiator (Mechanic botched repair, not design issue). Truck pulled into driveway barely able to move, trailing cloud of smoke. I dropped pan and changed filters, hoping for best. Filled with fluid and was happy to find it worked fine.

I’ll agree on the 4.7, but the 545RFE is an abomination that should be righteously purged from existence. Sure, it’s reliable and usually shifts fine, but the gear ratios are absolutely horrific. 1st gear feels great, but that sharp drop from 3.00:1 to 1.67:1 in 2nd gear makes every vehicle I’ve driven with it fall flat on its face and it never recovers. And why does it need a “kick down” gear? Wouldn’t need one if you chose better ratios in the first friggin place!

/rant

But I do like the 4.7, I actually prefer it to the 5.2/5.9.
I’ve got a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited and we love it. Around 150k miles and I take good care of my stuff. It does burn a little oil but nothing major.

I also have an ‘01 Ram 1500 with the 5.9. Seems reliable other than the intake gaskets but no issues so far!

As I'm sure many among us would agree: the 4.7 V8 installed in countless Jeep and Dodge SUV's over the years has garnered somewhat of a bad reputation. Thrown rockers, sludging, timing chain failures, you name it.

Let me offer a counter point: my current Jeep, a 240k mile example, runs about as quiet as a Singer sewing machine. For all the flack that the 4.7 gets, it's hard for me to follow the crowd. Mine uses less than a quart of oil between changes and still idles so smooth that it's hard to tell that it's running at all. I am far from easy with the old girl: It regularly sees wide open throttle runs yet still continues to hum along. Same can be said for the 545RFE transmission, it shifts so butter smooth I can hardly tell it apart from a new model with the 8 speed.

Given the poor rep, I can't help but play devil's advocate. When taken care of well, the 4.7/545 combo is one of the strongest powertrains of its time! Anyone else have love for the 4.7?
Mine has only 104,000 miles (a ligthtly used 2007 Grand Cherokee). I treated it to degreaser, wash and shine today.
As I'm sure many among us would agree: the 4.7 V8 installed in countless Jeep and Dodge SUV's over the years has garnered somewhat of a bad reputation. Thrown rockers, sludging, timing chain failures, you name it.

Let me offer a counter point: my current Jeep, a 240k mile example, runs about as quiet as a Singer sewing machine. For all the flack that the 4.7 gets, it's hard for me to follow the crowd. Mine uses less than a quart of oil between changes and still idles so smooth that it's hard to tell that it's running at all. I am far from easy with the old girl: It regularly sees wide open throttle runs yet still continues to hum along. Same can be said for the 545RFE transmission, it shifts so butter smooth I can hardly tell it apart from a new model with the 8 speed.

Given the poor rep, I can't help but play devil's advocate. When taken care of well, the 4.7/545 combo is one of the strongest powertrains of its time! Anyone else have love for the 4.7?
Treated my 4.7 (2007 with 104K miles) to a degrease, wash and shine

1681414979350.jpeg

We sold my son's 4.7 04 Grand WJ. It had IIRC about 138k on it and ran beautifully. We sold it for $500 more than what we paid for it after 3 or 4 years. Loved that engine in that little GC. Lots of power. I wish my 08 Wrangler had that powerplant.

I know it gets a bad rap, but if well cared for, they can go a long, long time and serve well.

A member of the family had a Durango with the 4.7 and no problems.
sold it at 200,000 running fine. Only problem was ball joints and a front bumper that preferred to be rusty.

The '01 WJ in my sig had the 4.7. It was my first car in high school, loved the power. Sold at nearly 200k with no issues on the engine. IIRC I replaced the TPS once, which was a common thing to fail. The 545 did need a new torque converter at around 70k, barely out of warranty. Expensive repair. I had an AEM intake tube and a Flowmaster 50 cat back that I put on...great at first but regretted that drone after a year or so haha.

Back